Oct 29, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
St. John’s 2013 Red Storm Tip-Off took place inside Carnesecca Arena on Friday night, with the dunk contest following the team’s full-court scrimmage.
Sophomore forward Christian Jones defeated reigning team champion JaKarr Sampson to take home the dunk contest title. However, Jones didn’t even have the dunk of the night.
Freshman guard Rysheed Jordan, the Big East’s preseason Rookie of the Year, got a loud ovation when he cleared the 6-foot-8 God’sgift Achiuwa on the way to his one-handed finish. Both Jordan and Providence freshman Brandon Austin showed what they can do to potential defenders during the conference’s first annual Big East Tip-Off Party.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)