Oct 30, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
With their leading scorer and assist man from last season, guard Brandon Young (16.7 ppg, 4.6 apg), entering his senior season the DePaul Blue Demons were looking for some additional depth on the perimeter. On Wednesday that mission was accomplished, as 6-foot-2 combo guard Jon Davis verbally committed to attend the Big East school.
The news was first reported by the DC Assault grassroots program, which Davis is a member of.
Davis currently attends Clinton Christian School in Washington, D.C., and he was originally viewed as a 2015 prospect. But Davis will be a 2014 signee for the Blue Demons, and his ability to play at a high tempo should work well with Oliver Purnell’s system.
Davis saw his recruitment gain steam during July, when a solid outing against one of the nation’s top prospects in SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay at the Reebok Breakout Classic resulted in a fresh batch of offers from high-major programs. In a story written by NBC Sports‘ Rob Dauster in July, Davis stated that the ability to contribute as a freshman would factor into his decision.
“I just want somewhere that I can play as soon as I become a freshman,” Davis said, “and I know that I’m going to have to work for that, but I want the opportunity to play as a freshman. I don’t want to come in and sit the bench for two years before I start really playing.”
DePaul will lose Young at the end of the upcoming season but they have four scholarship guards who will have eligibility remaining, including guards Billy Garrett Jr. and R.J. Curington. Davis is the second commitment in DePaul’s 2014 class, joining junior college forward Rashaun Stimage, and the Blue Demons will also add Illinois transfer Myke Henry to the mix next season.
The program also remains in the running for the services of elite 2014 big man Cliff Alexander.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)