Oct 30, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
With their leading scorer and assist man from last season, guard Brandon Young (16.7 ppg, 4.6 apg), entering his senior season the DePaul Blue Demons were looking for some additional depth on the perimeter. On Wednesday that mission was accomplished, as 6-foot-2 combo guard Jon Davis verbally committed to attend the Big East school.
The news was first reported by the DC Assault grassroots program, which Davis is a member of.
Davis currently attends Clinton Christian School in Washington, D.C., and he was originally viewed as a 2015 prospect. But Davis will be a 2014 signee for the Blue Demons, and his ability to play at a high tempo should work well with Oliver Purnell’s system.
Davis saw his recruitment gain steam during July, when a solid outing against one of the nation’s top prospects in SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay at the Reebok Breakout Classic resulted in a fresh batch of offers from high-major programs. In a story written by NBC Sports‘ Rob Dauster in July, Davis stated that the ability to contribute as a freshman would factor into his decision.
“I just want somewhere that I can play as soon as I become a freshman,” Davis said, “and I know that I’m going to have to work for that, but I want the opportunity to play as a freshman. I don’t want to come in and sit the bench for two years before I start really playing.”
DePaul will lose Young at the end of the upcoming season but they have four scholarship guards who will have eligibility remaining, including guards Billy Garrett Jr. and R.J. Curington. Davis is the second commitment in DePaul’s 2014 class, joining junior college forward Rashaun Stimage, and the Blue Demons will also add Illinois transfer Myke Henry to the mix next season.
The program also remains in the running for the services of elite 2014 big man Cliff Alexander.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)