Oct 30, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
With their leading scorer and assist man from last season, guard Brandon Young (16.7 ppg, 4.6 apg), entering his senior season the DePaul Blue Demons were looking for some additional depth on the perimeter. On Wednesday that mission was accomplished, as 6-foot-2 combo guard Jon Davis verbally committed to attend the Big East school.
The news was first reported by the DC Assault grassroots program, which Davis is a member of.
Davis currently attends Clinton Christian School in Washington, D.C., and he was originally viewed as a 2015 prospect. But Davis will be a 2014 signee for the Blue Demons, and his ability to play at a high tempo should work well with Oliver Purnell’s system.
Davis saw his recruitment gain steam during July, when a solid outing against one of the nation’s top prospects in SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay at the Reebok Breakout Classic resulted in a fresh batch of offers from high-major programs. In a story written by NBC Sports‘ Rob Dauster in July, Davis stated that the ability to contribute as a freshman would factor into his decision.
“I just want somewhere that I can play as soon as I become a freshman,” Davis said, “and I know that I’m going to have to work for that, but I want the opportunity to play as a freshman. I don’t want to come in and sit the bench for two years before I start really playing.”
DePaul will lose Young at the end of the upcoming season but they have four scholarship guards who will have eligibility remaining, including guards Billy Garrett Jr. and R.J. Curington. Davis is the second commitment in DePaul’s 2014 class, joining junior college forward Rashaun Stimage, and the Blue Demons will also add Illinois transfer Myke Henry to the mix next season.
The program also remains in the running for the services of elite 2014 big man Cliff Alexander.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)