Oct 30, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Florida announced on Wednesday morning that shooting guard Michael Frazier has been diagnosed with mononucleosis and will be out indefinitely.
Frazier will definitely be out of Friday’s scrimmage against Florida Southern, but it’s unclear how much longer he’ll be out of action.
“Maybe more than that,” UF trainer David “Duke” Werner said. “We’ll have to wait and see.” According to Werner, Frazier was tested two weeks ago and those tests came back negative for mono. But it’s a virus with symptoms that can come and go, and on Sunday night, Frazier started showing the symptoms again. When he was tested this time, the results came back positive.
This is a big blow for the Gators if Frazier is out for an extended period of time. With Eli Carter still on the mend from a broken leg that he suffered last February and Scottie Wilbekin beginning the season suspended, Florida is heading into their opener with freshman Kasey Hill and seldom-used sophomore DeVon Walker as their back court.
That’s not it for their injuries, either. Will Yeguete’s knees aren’t yet healthy and he sat out the team’s secret scrimmage last week. Damontre Harris has hamstring issues. Chris Walker won’t be eligible until at least December. There aren’t many bodies to go around in Gainesville right now. That could be an issue considering Florida is headed up to Madison to take on Wisconsin on November 12th.
Frazier averaged 5.6 points off the bench last season, but he was expected to be a major contributor this season. Frazier played on the U19 team over the summer. He’s a sharpshooter, making 44.6% of his three-balls.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)