Oct 30, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Florida announced on Wednesday morning that shooting guard Michael Frazier has been diagnosed with mononucleosis and will be out indefinitely.
Frazier will definitely be out of Friday’s scrimmage against Florida Southern, but it’s unclear how much longer he’ll be out of action.
“Maybe more than that,” UF trainer David “Duke” Werner said. “We’ll have to wait and see.” According to Werner, Frazier was tested two weeks ago and those tests came back negative for mono. But it’s a virus with symptoms that can come and go, and on Sunday night, Frazier started showing the symptoms again. When he was tested this time, the results came back positive.
This is a big blow for the Gators if Frazier is out for an extended period of time. With Eli Carter still on the mend from a broken leg that he suffered last February and Scottie Wilbekin beginning the season suspended, Florida is heading into their opener with freshman Kasey Hill and seldom-used sophomore DeVon Walker as their back court.
That’s not it for their injuries, either. Will Yeguete’s knees aren’t yet healthy and he sat out the team’s secret scrimmage last week. Damontre Harris has hamstring issues. Chris Walker won’t be eligible until at least December. There aren’t many bodies to go around in Gainesville right now. That could be an issue considering Florida is headed up to Madison to take on Wisconsin on November 12th.
Frazier averaged 5.6 points off the bench last season, but he was expected to be a major contributor this season. Frazier played on the U19 team over the summer. He’s a sharpshooter, making 44.6% of his three-balls.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)