Oct 30, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Florida announced on Wednesday morning that shooting guard Michael Frazier has been diagnosed with mononucleosis and will be out indefinitely.
Frazier will definitely be out of Friday’s scrimmage against Florida Southern, but it’s unclear how much longer he’ll be out of action.
“Maybe more than that,” UF trainer David “Duke” Werner said. “We’ll have to wait and see.” According to Werner, Frazier was tested two weeks ago and those tests came back negative for mono. But it’s a virus with symptoms that can come and go, and on Sunday night, Frazier started showing the symptoms again. When he was tested this time, the results came back positive.
This is a big blow for the Gators if Frazier is out for an extended period of time. With Eli Carter still on the mend from a broken leg that he suffered last February and Scottie Wilbekin beginning the season suspended, Florida is heading into their opener with freshman Kasey Hill and seldom-used sophomore DeVon Walker as their back court.
That’s not it for their injuries, either. Will Yeguete’s knees aren’t yet healthy and he sat out the team’s secret scrimmage last week. Damontre Harris has hamstring issues. Chris Walker won’t be eligible until at least December. There aren’t many bodies to go around in Gainesville right now. That could be an issue considering Florida is headed up to Madison to take on Wisconsin on November 12th.
Frazier averaged 5.6 points off the bench last season, but he was expected to be a major contributor this season. Frazier played on the U19 team over the summer. He’s a sharpshooter, making 44.6% of his three-balls.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)