Oct 30, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
When Fresno State opens the home portion of its schedule against Cal State Northridge, Rodney Terry’s team should be playing in front of a good-sized crowd. Why? Because tickets to the game are free, thanks to Indiana Pacer Paul George.
George, fresh off of signing a five-year extension that guarantees him anywhere from $80 million to $90 million, bought every remaining ticket in the 15,596-seat Save Mart Center according to the Clay Moffitt of The Business Journal. Thanks to George fans can print out a voucher and bring it down to the school’s ticket office, and they’ll receive a ticket to the game.
As for season ticket holders, they’ll be able to sit in their usual seats and thus avoid the mayhem that can result in “free-for-all” situations. This is a great gesture on George’s part, giving back to the fans who supported him during his two seasons playing for the Bulldogs. During his career at Fresno State George averaged 15.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game, and in 2010 he became the highest draft pick in school history when the Pacers selected him with the 10th overall pick.
George was also Fresno State’s first lottery selection since 2002, when forward/center Melvin Ely was picked 12th overall by the Los Angeles Clippers. In that particular draft three Bulldogs were selected: Ely, forward Chris Jefferies (27th overall, Los Angeles Lakers) and guard Tito Maddox (38th overall, Houston).
And for your viewing pleasure, here’s George as a freshman throwing down an emphatic dunk at Saint Mary’s.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)