Oct 30, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
When Fresno State opens the home portion of its schedule against Cal State Northridge, Rodney Terry’s team should be playing in front of a good-sized crowd. Why? Because tickets to the game are free, thanks to Indiana Pacer Paul George.
George, fresh off of signing a five-year extension that guarantees him anywhere from $80 million to $90 million, bought every remaining ticket in the 15,596-seat Save Mart Center according to the Clay Moffitt of The Business Journal. Thanks to George fans can print out a voucher and bring it down to the school’s ticket office, and they’ll receive a ticket to the game.
As for season ticket holders, they’ll be able to sit in their usual seats and thus avoid the mayhem that can result in “free-for-all” situations. This is a great gesture on George’s part, giving back to the fans who supported him during his two seasons playing for the Bulldogs. During his career at Fresno State George averaged 15.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game, and in 2010 he became the highest draft pick in school history when the Pacers selected him with the 10th overall pick.
George was also Fresno State’s first lottery selection since 2002, when forward/center Melvin Ely was picked 12th overall by the Los Angeles Clippers. In that particular draft three Bulldogs were selected: Ely, forward Chris Jefferies (27th overall, Los Angeles Lakers) and guard Tito Maddox (38th overall, Houston).
And for your viewing pleasure, here’s George as a freshman throwing down an emphatic dunk at Saint Mary’s.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)