Oct 30, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Maryland has lost Seth Allen for the next 8-to-10 weeks after the 6-foot guard suffered a fractured foot in practice on Tuesday.
The injury is a fracture to the fifth metatarsel in Allen’s left foot.
“We are devastated for Seth,” said Maryland head coach Turgeon in a release. “He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates.”
Allen, who averaged 7.8 points as a freshman, was slated to be a starter in the back court for the Terps. He’s listed as a point guard even though he’s more of a natural scorer and shooter. With Allen out, it will force freshman Roddy Peters into a bigger role on the offensive end of the floor. Peters is a playmaker and a ball-handler, but at this stage in his development, he’s better suited to playing in transition in the open floor than he is to running a team in the half court.
He’ll have to learn fast. Maryland kicks off their season on November 8th against UConn at the Barclays Center, which means that you can probably expect Dez Wells to help with some of the point guard duties early on in the year.
Allen should be back by the time ACC play rolls around.
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)