Oct 30, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
Maryland has lost Seth Allen for the next 8-to-10 weeks after the 6-foot guard suffered a fractured foot in practice on Tuesday.
The injury is a fracture to the fifth metatarsel in Allen’s left foot.
“We are devastated for Seth,” said Maryland head coach Turgeon in a release. “He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates.”
Allen, who averaged 7.8 points as a freshman, was slated to be a starter in the back court for the Terps. He’s listed as a point guard even though he’s more of a natural scorer and shooter. With Allen out, it will force freshman Roddy Peters into a bigger role on the offensive end of the floor. Peters is a playmaker and a ball-handler, but at this stage in his development, he’s better suited to playing in transition in the open floor than he is to running a team in the half court.
He’ll have to learn fast. Maryland kicks off their season on November 8th against UConn at the Barclays Center, which means that you can probably expect Dez Wells to help with some of the point guard duties early on in the year.
Allen should be back by the time ACC play rolls around.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)