Oct 30, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Maryland has lost Seth Allen for the next 8-to-10 weeks after the 6-foot guard suffered a fractured foot in practice on Tuesday.
The injury is a fracture to the fifth metatarsel in Allen’s left foot.
“We are devastated for Seth,” said Maryland head coach Turgeon in a release. “He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates.”
Allen, who averaged 7.8 points as a freshman, was slated to be a starter in the back court for the Terps. He’s listed as a point guard even though he’s more of a natural scorer and shooter. With Allen out, it will force freshman Roddy Peters into a bigger role on the offensive end of the floor. Peters is a playmaker and a ball-handler, but at this stage in his development, he’s better suited to playing in transition in the open floor than he is to running a team in the half court.
He’ll have to learn fast. Maryland kicks off their season on November 8th against UConn at the Barclays Center, which means that you can probably expect Dez Wells to help with some of the point guard duties early on in the year.
Allen should be back by the time ACC play rolls around.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)