Oct 30, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
Maryland has lost Seth Allen for the next 8-to-10 weeks after the 6-foot guard suffered a fractured foot in practice on Tuesday.
The injury is a fracture to the fifth metatarsel in Allen’s left foot.
“We are devastated for Seth,” said Maryland head coach Turgeon in a release. “He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates.”
Allen, who averaged 7.8 points as a freshman, was slated to be a starter in the back court for the Terps. He’s listed as a point guard even though he’s more of a natural scorer and shooter. With Allen out, it will force freshman Roddy Peters into a bigger role on the offensive end of the floor. Peters is a playmaker and a ball-handler, but at this stage in his development, he’s better suited to playing in transition in the open floor than he is to running a team in the half court.
He’ll have to learn fast. Maryland kicks off their season on November 8th against UConn at the Barclays Center, which means that you can probably expect Dez Wells to help with some of the point guard duties early on in the year.
Allen should be back by the time ACC play rolls around.
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 1
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)