Oct 30, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Maryland has lost Seth Allen for the next 8-to-10 weeks after the 6-foot guard suffered a fractured foot in practice on Tuesday.
The injury is a fracture to the fifth metatarsel in Allen’s left foot.
“We are devastated for Seth,” said Maryland head coach Turgeon in a release. “He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates.”
Allen, who averaged 7.8 points as a freshman, was slated to be a starter in the back court for the Terps. He’s listed as a point guard even though he’s more of a natural scorer and shooter. With Allen out, it will force freshman Roddy Peters into a bigger role on the offensive end of the floor. Peters is a playmaker and a ball-handler, but at this stage in his development, he’s better suited to playing in transition in the open floor than he is to running a team in the half court.
He’ll have to learn fast. Maryland kicks off their season on November 8th against UConn at the Barclays Center, which means that you can probably expect Dez Wells to help with some of the point guard duties early on in the year.
Allen should be back by the time ACC play rolls around.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)