Oct 30, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
In one of the rules that tends to rankle more than a few feathers, college basketball players are allowed to play in just one officially sanctioned summer league. Memphis freshman Kuran Iverson became the latest to run afoul of that rule, and as a result he will miss the Tigers’ regular season opener against Austin Peay on November 14.
Iverson’s transgression: playing in both the Memphis-based Bluff City and Greater Hartford Pro-Am leagues over the summer. Iverson’s a native of Hartford, Conn., which explains why he played in the league based in nearby Waterbury, Conn. (the trip from Hartford to Waterbury takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes by car, in case you were wondering).
The rule limiting players to “one team in one league” has been around for a while now, and while it can be debated why such a rule still exists the fact of the matter is that the membership has left it in place.
Iverson will be able to play in Memphis’ exhibition game on November 8, with his first regular season action coming ten days later at Oklahoma State. The Tigers will be fine from a depth standpoint given the many options head coach Josh Pastner can turn to on the wings (seniors Chris Crawford and Geron Johnson, sophomore Damien Wilson and freshman Nick King are four), and their overall depth is expected to make Memphis a contender in the American Athletic Conference.
Surely Memphis would want to have Iverson available, but this suspension is a minor nuisance more than anything.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)