Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Less than a week after losing forward Kourtney Roberson after he underwent a procedure to address a rapid heart rate issue that became an issue during a practice, Texas A&M finds itself without another key piece as the start of the 2013-14 season approaches.
Prior to the Aggies’ exhibition game against UT-Permian Basin, the school announced that sophomore guard J-Mychal Reese has been suspended for a violation of athletic department rules and regulations. Reese started 25 of the 33 games he played in last season, posting averages of 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in just over 26 minutes of action per game.
With last season’s leading scorer Elston Turner (17.5 ppg) out of eligibility Reese is one of the players expected to pick up the slack offensively for the Aggies, who were picked by the media to finish ninth in the preseason poll. In the Aggies’ 80-70 win over UT-Permian Basin four starters scored in double figures, with Fabyon Harris leading the way with 13.
Jamal Jones added 11 with Alex Caruso and Davonte Fitzgerald scoring ten apiece, and Florida State transfer Antwan Space tallied nine points and eight rebounds off the bench. No timetable was given by the school in regards to how long Reese’s suspension will last.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)