Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Less than a week after losing forward Kourtney Roberson after he underwent a procedure to address a rapid heart rate issue that became an issue during a practice, Texas A&M finds itself without another key piece as the start of the 2013-14 season approaches.
Prior to the Aggies’ exhibition game against UT-Permian Basin, the school announced that sophomore guard J-Mychal Reese has been suspended for a violation of athletic department rules and regulations. Reese started 25 of the 33 games he played in last season, posting averages of 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in just over 26 minutes of action per game.
With last season’s leading scorer Elston Turner (17.5 ppg) out of eligibility Reese is one of the players expected to pick up the slack offensively for the Aggies, who were picked by the media to finish ninth in the preseason poll. In the Aggies’ 80-70 win over UT-Permian Basin four starters scored in double figures, with Fabyon Harris leading the way with 13.
Jamal Jones added 11 with Alex Caruso and Davonte Fitzgerald scoring ten apiece, and Florida State transfer Antwan Space tallied nine points and eight rebounds off the bench. No timetable was given by the school in regards to how long Reese’s suspension will last.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)