Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Less than a week after losing forward Kourtney Roberson after he underwent a procedure to address a rapid heart rate issue that became an issue during a practice, Texas A&M finds itself without another key piece as the start of the 2013-14 season approaches.
Prior to the Aggies’ exhibition game against UT-Permian Basin, the school announced that sophomore guard J-Mychal Reese has been suspended for a violation of athletic department rules and regulations. Reese started 25 of the 33 games he played in last season, posting averages of 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in just over 26 minutes of action per game.
With last season’s leading scorer Elston Turner (17.5 ppg) out of eligibility Reese is one of the players expected to pick up the slack offensively for the Aggies, who were picked by the media to finish ninth in the preseason poll. In the Aggies’ 80-70 win over UT-Permian Basin four starters scored in double figures, with Fabyon Harris leading the way with 13.
Jamal Jones added 11 with Alex Caruso and Davonte Fitzgerald scoring ten apiece, and Florida State transfer Antwan Space tallied nine points and eight rebounds off the bench. No timetable was given by the school in regards to how long Reese’s suspension will last.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)