Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Less than a week after losing forward Kourtney Roberson after he underwent a procedure to address a rapid heart rate issue that became an issue during a practice, Texas A&M finds itself without another key piece as the start of the 2013-14 season approaches.
Prior to the Aggies’ exhibition game against UT-Permian Basin, the school announced that sophomore guard J-Mychal Reese has been suspended for a violation of athletic department rules and regulations. Reese started 25 of the 33 games he played in last season, posting averages of 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in just over 26 minutes of action per game.
With last season’s leading scorer Elston Turner (17.5 ppg) out of eligibility Reese is one of the players expected to pick up the slack offensively for the Aggies, who were picked by the media to finish ninth in the preseason poll. In the Aggies’ 80-70 win over UT-Permian Basin four starters scored in double figures, with Fabyon Harris leading the way with 13.
Jamal Jones added 11 with Alex Caruso and Davonte Fitzgerald scoring ten apiece, and Florida State transfer Antwan Space tallied nine points and eight rebounds off the bench. No timetable was given by the school in regards to how long Reese’s suspension will last.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)