Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Less than a week after losing forward Kourtney Roberson after he underwent a procedure to address a rapid heart rate issue that became an issue during a practice, Texas A&M finds itself without another key piece as the start of the 2013-14 season approaches.
Prior to the Aggies’ exhibition game against UT-Permian Basin, the school announced that sophomore guard J-Mychal Reese has been suspended for a violation of athletic department rules and regulations. Reese started 25 of the 33 games he played in last season, posting averages of 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in just over 26 minutes of action per game.
With last season’s leading scorer Elston Turner (17.5 ppg) out of eligibility Reese is one of the players expected to pick up the slack offensively for the Aggies, who were picked by the media to finish ninth in the preseason poll. In the Aggies’ 80-70 win over UT-Permian Basin four starters scored in double figures, with Fabyon Harris leading the way with 13.
Jamal Jones added 11 with Alex Caruso and Davonte Fitzgerald scoring ten apiece, and Florida State transfer Antwan Space tallied nine points and eight rebounds off the bench. No timetable was given by the school in regards to how long Reese’s suspension will last.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)