Oct 30, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
The day that UNLV fans have been waiting for finally arrived, as on Wednesday the school unveiled the bronze statue built in honor for Jerry Tarkanian, one of the most successful coaches in basketball history. In 19 seasons at UNLV, “Tark the Shark” won 509 games and led the Runnin’ Rebels to their lone national title (1990) and three other Final Four appearances.
Overall Tarkanian recorded 990 wins as a college head coach, with the run including stops at Riverside (Calif.) City College, Pasadena (Calif.) City College, Long Beach State and Fresno State in addition to UNLV. Tarkanian won 81% of the games he coached, and at the Division I level his teams made 14 NCAA tournament appearances (13 trips to the Sweet 16).
And just over a month after he was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame, Tarkanian was able to sit next to an oversized statue of himself, with the famous wet towel present as well. The extra chair is a part of the statue, allowing visiting fans to sit down next to the coach and have their picture taken. The statue is located in front of the Thomas & Mack Center and behind the Mendenhall Center, where the basketball team practices.
“This beautiful statue is a lasting tribute to not only me but all my players and coaches,” Jerry Tarkanian said. “… I never dreamed something like this could happen.
Below is video of the full ceremony.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)