Oct 31, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
Back in May 6-foot-5 forward Royce O’Neale requested to be released from his scholarship by Denver University, with the health of a relative back in Texas (O’Neale hails from Killeen) being the reason cited as to why. The school granted his request and O’Neale ultimately landed at Baylor, where he joined one of the nation’s deepest front court rotations.
The next question was whether or not the junior would be able to help the Bears during games this season, and on Thursday afternoon the program provided the answer. O’Neale’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver was granted by the NCAA, giving Baylor another wing to call upon as they look to compete with Kansas and Oklahoma State at the top of the the Big 12.
O’Neale, who averaged 11.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game as a sophomore at Denver last season, has two years of eligibility remaining. He joins a rotation at the small forward position that includes sophomore Taurean Prince and highly-touted freshman Ishmail Wainright.
O’Neale’s versatility will be an asset for Baylor head coach Scott Drew, as he’s a capable scorer, rebounder and distributor.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)