Oct 31, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
After being committed to attend Indiana since 2010, 2014 shooting guard James Blackmon Jr. reopened his recruitment in August, and once that happened things ramped up in a big way for the Marion, Ind. native. But on Thursday night the Top 50 prospect announced his decision on national television to re-commit to Indiana, becoming the program’s third verbal commitment in the class.
Also considered by Blackmon were Kentucky, Michigan and Michigan State (he officially visited those schools), while Kansas was mentioned during the ceremony but did not receive a visit from the 6-foot-4 guard. Blackmon joins fellow shooting guard Robert Johnson and forward Max Hoetzel in Indiana’s 2014 recruiting haul.
With Arizona State transfer Evan Gordon and Will Sheehey both being seniors, Blackmon and Johnson will help Indiana head coach Tom Crean bolster his perimeter rotation in 2014. Indiana already has plenty of young talent on the perimeter, led by sophomore point guard Yogi Ferrell, and other players expected to compete for playing time this year include freshmen Devin Davis, Stanford Robinson and Troy Williams.
Prior to this season Blackmon played at Bishop Luers HS in Fort Wayne, Ind for his father, James Blackmon Sr. (who played his college basketball at Kentucky), and as a junior he averaged 33.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Blackmon Jr. will finish his high school career at Marion, where his father is the new head coach.
In Blackmon Jr. Indiana gets a talented shooter/scorer, and below are some clips of him in action.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)