Oct 31, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
After being committed to attend Indiana since 2010, 2014 shooting guard James Blackmon Jr. reopened his recruitment in August, and once that happened things ramped up in a big way for the Marion, Ind. native. But on Thursday night the Top 50 prospect announced his decision on national television to re-commit to Indiana, becoming the program’s third verbal commitment in the class.
Also considered by Blackmon were Kentucky, Michigan and Michigan State (he officially visited those schools), while Kansas was mentioned during the ceremony but did not receive a visit from the 6-foot-4 guard. Blackmon joins fellow shooting guard Robert Johnson and forward Max Hoetzel in Indiana’s 2014 recruiting haul.
With Arizona State transfer Evan Gordon and Will Sheehey both being seniors, Blackmon and Johnson will help Indiana head coach Tom Crean bolster his perimeter rotation in 2014. Indiana already has plenty of young talent on the perimeter, led by sophomore point guard Yogi Ferrell, and other players expected to compete for playing time this year include freshmen Devin Davis, Stanford Robinson and Troy Williams.
Prior to this season Blackmon played at Bishop Luers HS in Fort Wayne, Ind for his father, James Blackmon Sr. (who played his college basketball at Kentucky), and as a junior he averaged 33.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Blackmon Jr. will finish his high school career at Marion, where his father is the new head coach.
In Blackmon Jr. Indiana gets a talented shooter/scorer, and below are some clips of him in action.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 1
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)