Oct 31, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
After being committed to attend Indiana since 2010, 2014 shooting guard James Blackmon Jr. reopened his recruitment in August, and once that happened things ramped up in a big way for the Marion, Ind. native. But on Thursday night the Top 50 prospect announced his decision on national television to re-commit to Indiana, becoming the program’s third verbal commitment in the class.
Also considered by Blackmon were Kentucky, Michigan and Michigan State (he officially visited those schools), while Kansas was mentioned during the ceremony but did not receive a visit from the 6-foot-4 guard. Blackmon joins fellow shooting guard Robert Johnson and forward Max Hoetzel in Indiana’s 2014 recruiting haul.
With Arizona State transfer Evan Gordon and Will Sheehey both being seniors, Blackmon and Johnson will help Indiana head coach Tom Crean bolster his perimeter rotation in 2014. Indiana already has plenty of young talent on the perimeter, led by sophomore point guard Yogi Ferrell, and other players expected to compete for playing time this year include freshmen Devin Davis, Stanford Robinson and Troy Williams.
Prior to this season Blackmon played at Bishop Luers HS in Fort Wayne, Ind for his father, James Blackmon Sr. (who played his college basketball at Kentucky), and as a junior he averaged 33.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Blackmon Jr. will finish his high school career at Marion, where his father is the new head coach.
In Blackmon Jr. Indiana gets a talented shooter/scorer, and below are some clips of him in action.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
They are so short-handed that even the head coach is participating in practices.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Treadwell was accused of assaulting a member of the women’s team.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell broke his right hand in a win over DePaul.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Shockers miss Cleanthony Early, but how much will this hurt them in the long-term?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
This is one of the most surprising posterizeds we’ve seen this year.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Michigan State lost a lot of talent and experience from a title contender last season, but they’ve remained a top 25 team thanks to tremendous three-point shooting.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Who doesn’t love buzzer-beaters, especially when they’re from half court?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
That’s one heartbreaking way to lose a game.
Late Night Snacks: Wichita State mounts furious comeback on Alabama, Myles Turner has big night for Texas
Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Myles Turner has a monster night.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
Wichita State found a way to win in a thrilling home game against Alabama.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Creighton will be without a reserve guard for an undetermined period of time.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Duke will add the son of a former NBA legend to its roster in 2015-16.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Houston should get a major boost to its lineup this weekend with the return of its starting point guard.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Iowa State is losing a guard that didn’t fit into the rotation.
Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Texas is already without Isaiah Taylor and lost more guard depth on Tuesday.
Dec 16, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
But there are a couple of good, off-the-radar games.
Dec 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
Only one of the ten are potential season-changers.
Dec 16, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
Four new faces in the top ten and two new players in the top five. The tide’s are a-turning.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:06 AM EST
This? This is why Huggy Bear is the absolute best.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
Coach K was not happy with a uninspiring win over Elon.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)