Oct 31, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
In news that didn’t come as much of a surprise, UCLA freshman guard Isaac Hamilton’s final appeal to have the National Letter of Intent he signed after committing to UTEP nullified was denied on Thursday. With that being the case Hamilton, a McDonald’s All-American from Los Angeles, will sit out this season and lose a year of eligibility per the rules of the NLI.
Hamilton will be able to receive an athletic scholarship and practice with the team, so head coach Steve Alford and his staff will be able to groom the prolific shooting guard with an eye towards next season. And having a player as talented as Hamilton should help the Bruins’ perimeter rotation, which includes Jordan Adams, Zach LaVine and Norman Powell, in practice every day.
While Hamilton was most valued as a scorer during his high school career (23.0 ppg at St. John Bosco last season), there was some thinking that if eligible he could throw his name into the mix at the point guard position along with fellow freshmen LaVine and Bryce Alford, and sophomore Kyle Anderson.
Those three players combined to dish out 11 assists (Anderson with five, Alford and LaVine with three apiece) against eight turnovers (Alford – 4, Anderson – 3, LaVine – 1) in the Bruins’ 96-66 exhibition victory over Cal State San Bernadino on Wednesday night. Both LaVine (15 points) and Anderson (ten points) reached double figures, and while the Bruins do have one more exhibition game to play prior to their season opener against Drexel next Friday it seems likely that multiple players will have the opportunity to initiate the offense for Alford’s squad.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)