Nov 1, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
With Arkansas losing their top two scorers from a season ago in guard B.J. Young and forward Marshawn Powell, there are some questions head coach Mike Anderson has to answer entering the 2013-14 season. Who will his feature offensive options be? Forward Coty Clarke (7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and guard Mardracus Wade (6.5 ppg) are the Razorbacks’ leading returning scorers, and junior guard Rashad Madden is another possible option.
Unfortunately for Madden, he won’t be able to show the coaches that he’s ready for a greater role in game action, as a violation of team rules has resulted in a three-game suspension. Madden with miss both exhibition games, beginning with tonight’s contest against Northeastern State, and the Razorbacks’ regular season opener against SIU-Edwardsville on November 8.
If everything goes well, Madden’s first game action of the season will come against Louisiana on November 15, with a home game against SMU to follow three days later. Arkansas will also participate in the Maui Invitational, opening play against California on November 25.
“Holding our student-athletes accountable on and off the court is a big part of my philosophy as a coach, and also in helping them grow up to be men,” Anderson said in the release. “Rashad will be suspended for our two exhibition games and the season opener. I’m certainly disappointed in Rashad, but he understands that he’s not only letting himself down, but he’s also letting his teammates down because we are all one family.”
Madden started 10 of the 31 games he played in last season, posting averages of 4.2 points and 2.4 rebounds per contest. Seven of the returnees (including Madden) averaged double-digit minutes last season, and the addition of big men Moses Kingsley and Bobby Portis will help as well.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)