Nov 1, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Xavier’s 2014 recruiting haul grew to five on Friday, as Top 50 small forward Trevon Bluiett verbally committed to the Big East school. Bluiett, who verbally committed to UCLA this summer, sent out his decision via his Twitter account.
Blueitt also held offers from programs such as Butler, Memphis and Michigan State, but in the end it was Xavier head coach Chris Mack who received the good news. The 6-foot-6 Indianapolis native (Park Tudor HS) joins guards Edmond Sumner and J.P. Macura and big men Makinde London and Sean O’Mara in Xavier’s 2014 class. During the spring and summer he played for the Spiece Indy Heat, averaging 18.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play.
When he committed to UCLA during the summer Bluiett had taken just one official visit, and that was to UCLA where his former high school coach (Ed Schilling) is an assistant on Steve Alford’s staff. Ultimately the distance from Indianapolis to Los Angeles was too much for his relationship with Schilling to overcome, and Xavier benefits as a result.
While there’s much rejoicing amongst the Xavier faithful, it should also be pointed out that this is another recruiting victory for the Big East. More than a few wondered when the realignment dominoes fell about the caliber of recruit that the ten schools would be able to attract, but the conference has done a very good job on the recruiting trail.
Georgetown, Providence and Seton Hall are three of the schools that have picked up important wins on the trail this offseason, and in establishing a “new” conference that’s a good place to start when looking to make sure that the Big East “brand” retains its power.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)