Nov 1, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Xavier’s 2014 recruiting haul grew to five on Friday, as Top 50 small forward Trevon Bluiett verbally committed to the Big East school. Bluiett, who verbally committed to UCLA this summer, sent out his decision via his Twitter account.
Blueitt also held offers from programs such as Butler, Memphis and Michigan State, but in the end it was Xavier head coach Chris Mack who received the good news. The 6-foot-6 Indianapolis native (Park Tudor HS) joins guards Edmond Sumner and J.P. Macura and big men Makinde London and Sean O’Mara in Xavier’s 2014 class. During the spring and summer he played for the Spiece Indy Heat, averaging 18.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play.
When he committed to UCLA during the summer Bluiett had taken just one official visit, and that was to UCLA where his former high school coach (Ed Schilling) is an assistant on Steve Alford’s staff. Ultimately the distance from Indianapolis to Los Angeles was too much for his relationship with Schilling to overcome, and Xavier benefits as a result.
While there’s much rejoicing amongst the Xavier faithful, it should also be pointed out that this is another recruiting victory for the Big East. More than a few wondered when the realignment dominoes fell about the caliber of recruit that the ten schools would be able to attract, but the conference has done a very good job on the recruiting trail.
Georgetown, Providence and Seton Hall are three of the schools that have picked up important wins on the trail this offseason, and in establishing a “new” conference that’s a good place to start when looking to make sure that the Big East “brand” retains its power.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)