Nov 1, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Xavier’s 2014 recruiting haul grew to five on Friday, as Top 50 small forward Trevon Bluiett verbally committed to the Big East school. Bluiett, who verbally committed to UCLA this summer, sent out his decision via his Twitter account.
Blueitt also held offers from programs such as Butler, Memphis and Michigan State, but in the end it was Xavier head coach Chris Mack who received the good news. The 6-foot-6 Indianapolis native (Park Tudor HS) joins guards Edmond Sumner and J.P. Macura and big men Makinde London and Sean O’Mara in Xavier’s 2014 class. During the spring and summer he played for the Spiece Indy Heat, averaging 18.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play.
When he committed to UCLA during the summer Bluiett had taken just one official visit, and that was to UCLA where his former high school coach (Ed Schilling) is an assistant on Steve Alford’s staff. Ultimately the distance from Indianapolis to Los Angeles was too much for his relationship with Schilling to overcome, and Xavier benefits as a result.
While there’s much rejoicing amongst the Xavier faithful, it should also be pointed out that this is another recruiting victory for the Big East. More than a few wondered when the realignment dominoes fell about the caliber of recruit that the ten schools would be able to attract, but the conference has done a very good job on the recruiting trail.
Georgetown, Providence and Seton Hall are three of the schools that have picked up important wins on the trail this offseason, and in establishing a “new” conference that’s a good place to start when looking to make sure that the Big East “brand” retains its power.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)