Nov 2, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Kentucky cruised to a 76-42 victory over Division III Translyvania on Friday night, but it wasn’t all positive coming out of the Wildcat locker room.
The most talented team in the country only led 41-30 at the half and allowed six three-pointers in the first half before they made a run in the second half to put the game away.
A trio of freshman led the way for Kentucky as backup center Dakari Johnson had nine points, eight rebounds, a steal and a block in 17 minutes while shooting guard James Young stuffed the stat sheet with nine points, five rebounds, five assists, three steals and a block. Julius Randle looked dominant at times with 16 points and 12 boards in 26 minutes.
Among the interesting takeaways from this game includes an interesting quote from head coach John Calipari as he told John Clay, “We had a lot of non competitive guys out there. They’re just going to have to learn. This was a great lesson for them.”
“If you don’t compete, I’m taking you out, which is what I’ve always done throughout my coaching career until last year. I couldn’t.”
Randle also thought he could have played better and mentions that in this video interview also posted from John Clay.
Although Kentucky’s first half was so-so, with so many new pieces and freshmen getting significant playing time, they’re going to take some time to fully adjust and mesh together, especially on the offensive end.
Calipari’s “non competitive guys” quote is interesting though because with so much talent in Lexington it means that guys have to produce in order to earn playing time and some McDonald’s All-Americans will be stuck on the bench.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)