Nov 2, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Rhode Island came up with a 93-77 win over Division II Southern Connecticut on Friday night in an exhibition contest, but after losing sophomore forward Jordan Hare to a leave of absence earlier in the day, the team is hoping for the best as another one of their big men went down.
Junior forward Gilvydas Biruta went down with a right ankle injury, according to the Providence Journal, as the 6-foot-8 transfer from Rutgers ran into the bench and appeared to be in immediate pain.
Rams head coach Dan Hurley told the Providence Journal after the game that “it looked a lot worse than it is,” and termed his forward as being “day to day.”
The loss of Biruta for a few days isn’t huge, but it is a temporary setback as Rhode Island still deals with the loss or Hare. Biruta averaged 9.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Rutgers and started every game for the Scarlet Knights that season, so he will provide plenty of minutes inside for the Rams after sitting out last season due to NCAA transfer rules.
Rhode Island senior guard Xavier Munford paced the Rams with 18 points in the win.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)