Nov 2, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Rhode Island came up with a 93-77 win over Division II Southern Connecticut on Friday night in an exhibition contest, but after losing sophomore forward Jordan Hare to a leave of absence earlier in the day, the team is hoping for the best as another one of their big men went down.
Junior forward Gilvydas Biruta went down with a right ankle injury, according to the Providence Journal, as the 6-foot-8 transfer from Rutgers ran into the bench and appeared to be in immediate pain.
Rams head coach Dan Hurley told the Providence Journal after the game that “it looked a lot worse than it is,” and termed his forward as being “day to day.”
The loss of Biruta for a few days isn’t huge, but it is a temporary setback as Rhode Island still deals with the loss or Hare. Biruta averaged 9.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Rutgers and started every game for the Scarlet Knights that season, so he will provide plenty of minutes inside for the Rams after sitting out last season due to NCAA transfer rules.
Rhode Island senior guard Xavier Munford paced the Rams with 18 points in the win.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)