Nov 2, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Rhode Island came up with a 93-77 win over Division II Southern Connecticut on Friday night in an exhibition contest, but after losing sophomore forward Jordan Hare to a leave of absence earlier in the day, the team is hoping for the best as another one of their big men went down.
Junior forward Gilvydas Biruta went down with a right ankle injury, according to the Providence Journal, as the 6-foot-8 transfer from Rutgers ran into the bench and appeared to be in immediate pain.
Rams head coach Dan Hurley told the Providence Journal after the game that “it looked a lot worse than it is,” and termed his forward as being “day to day.”
The loss of Biruta for a few days isn’t huge, but it is a temporary setback as Rhode Island still deals with the loss or Hare. Biruta averaged 9.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Rutgers and started every game for the Scarlet Knights that season, so he will provide plenty of minutes inside for the Rams after sitting out last season due to NCAA transfer rules.
Rhode Island senior guard Xavier Munford paced the Rams with 18 points in the win.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)