Nov 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
UNLV losing to Division II Dixie State is bad news, but the hamstring injury to Bryce Dejean-Jones is even worse news for the Runnin’ Rebels as the junior guard and returning leading scorer left during the first half of the loss with an apparent injury to his right hamstring.
Dixie State pulled off the 71-70 upset over UNLV at the Thomas and Mack Center as they held they Rebels to 34.8 percent shooting but the injury to Dejean-Jones could be serious, according to head coach Dave Rice.
According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Dejean-Jones walked off the court in the middle of a play clutching his right hamstring. The 6-foot-5 junior then went to the locker room and watched the second half from the bench.
“I think it’s a pretty significant injury,” Rice said after the game. “He said he felt or heard a pop.”
Losing Dejean-Jones would be a major blow for the Runnin’ Rebels as they clearly struggled shooting last night and could use his experience and offense with so many new players.
Also of note is the struggles of 6-foot-7 junior wing Jelan Kendrick. The former McDonald’s All-American and transfer shot 2-of-14 and was 1-for-6 behind the three-point line.
The loss to Dixie State shouldn’t mean too much for UNLV. The Runnin’ Rebels escaped with a one-point overtime win over the Division II program last season and went on to the NCAA Tournament, so there’s plenty of time to right the ship after a loss that doesn’t even count.
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 1
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)