Nov 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
UNLV losing to Division II Dixie State is bad news, but the hamstring injury to Bryce Dejean-Jones is even worse news for the Runnin’ Rebels as the junior guard and returning leading scorer left during the first half of the loss with an apparent injury to his right hamstring.
Dixie State pulled off the 71-70 upset over UNLV at the Thomas and Mack Center as they held they Rebels to 34.8 percent shooting but the injury to Dejean-Jones could be serious, according to head coach Dave Rice.
According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Dejean-Jones walked off the court in the middle of a play clutching his right hamstring. The 6-foot-5 junior then went to the locker room and watched the second half from the bench.
“I think it’s a pretty significant injury,” Rice said after the game. “He said he felt or heard a pop.”
Losing Dejean-Jones would be a major blow for the Runnin’ Rebels as they clearly struggled shooting last night and could use his experience and offense with so many new players.
Also of note is the struggles of 6-foot-7 junior wing Jelan Kendrick. The former McDonald’s All-American and transfer shot 2-of-14 and was 1-for-6 behind the three-point line.
The loss to Dixie State shouldn’t mean too much for UNLV. The Runnin’ Rebels escaped with a one-point overtime win over the Division II program last season and went on to the NCAA Tournament, so there’s plenty of time to right the ship after a loss that doesn’t even count.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)