Nov 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
UNLV losing to Division II Dixie State is bad news, but the hamstring injury to Bryce Dejean-Jones is even worse news for the Runnin’ Rebels as the junior guard and returning leading scorer left during the first half of the loss with an apparent injury to his right hamstring.
Dixie State pulled off the 71-70 upset over UNLV at the Thomas and Mack Center as they held they Rebels to 34.8 percent shooting but the injury to Dejean-Jones could be serious, according to head coach Dave Rice.
According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Dejean-Jones walked off the court in the middle of a play clutching his right hamstring. The 6-foot-5 junior then went to the locker room and watched the second half from the bench.
“I think it’s a pretty significant injury,” Rice said after the game. “He said he felt or heard a pop.”
Losing Dejean-Jones would be a major blow for the Runnin’ Rebels as they clearly struggled shooting last night and could use his experience and offense with so many new players.
Also of note is the struggles of 6-foot-7 junior wing Jelan Kendrick. The former McDonald’s All-American and transfer shot 2-of-14 and was 1-for-6 behind the three-point line.
The loss to Dixie State shouldn’t mean too much for UNLV. The Runnin’ Rebels escaped with a one-point overtime win over the Division II program last season and went on to the NCAA Tournament, so there’s plenty of time to right the ship after a loss that doesn’t even count.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)