Nov 3, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
With all five starters back from last season’s team, Mike Lonergan’s George Washington Colonials are a squad hopeful of making a move up the Atlantic 10 standings in 2013-14. One of the players expected to factor into the equation is 6-foot-6 sophomore wing Patricio Garino, who started all 30 games averaged 8.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per game last season.
Unfortunately for Garino and the Colonials he suffered a broken finger in practice on October 25 and according to Lonergan, Garino could miss a month of action as a result. Garino, an Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team selection last season, joined teammate Isaiah Armwood on the preseason All-Defensive Team as selected by the coaches last month.
For that reason, along with the experience, this is an important loss for George Washington. The good news for the Colonials is that they added Indiana transfer Maurice Creek, who can be an impact player for them provided he remain healthy. In the Colonials’ 85-68 exhibition victory over Bowie State on Saturday Creek accounted for 17 points and 11 rebounds (the ten turnovers need to come down, however).
If Garino’s out four weeks that would rule out a matchup with MAAC preseason favorite Manhattan (November 16) and the Colonials’ trip west to play in the Wooden Legacy (November 28, 29, December 1). George Washington opens play there against reigning ACC champion Miami on November 28.
Garino’s the second Colonial dealing with a health issue during the preseason, as a hip injury’s sidelined point guard Joe McDonald. According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, Lonergan stated that McDonald may attempt to return to practice some time this week. George Washington was picked by the Atlantic 10 coaches to finish 10th in the preseason poll last month.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)