Nov 3, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
With all five starters back from last season’s team, Mike Lonergan’s George Washington Colonials are a squad hopeful of making a move up the Atlantic 10 standings in 2013-14. One of the players expected to factor into the equation is 6-foot-6 sophomore wing Patricio Garino, who started all 30 games averaged 8.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per game last season.
Unfortunately for Garino and the Colonials he suffered a broken finger in practice on October 25 and according to Lonergan, Garino could miss a month of action as a result. Garino, an Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team selection last season, joined teammate Isaiah Armwood on the preseason All-Defensive Team as selected by the coaches last month.
For that reason, along with the experience, this is an important loss for George Washington. The good news for the Colonials is that they added Indiana transfer Maurice Creek, who can be an impact player for them provided he remain healthy. In the Colonials’ 85-68 exhibition victory over Bowie State on Saturday Creek accounted for 17 points and 11 rebounds (the ten turnovers need to come down, however).
If Garino’s out four weeks that would rule out a matchup with MAAC preseason favorite Manhattan (November 16) and the Colonials’ trip west to play in the Wooden Legacy (November 28, 29, December 1). George Washington opens play there against reigning ACC champion Miami on November 28.
Garino’s the second Colonial dealing with a health issue during the preseason, as a hip injury’s sidelined point guard Joe McDonald. According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, Lonergan stated that McDonald may attempt to return to practice some time this week. George Washington was picked by the Atlantic 10 coaches to finish 10th in the preseason poll last month.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)