Nov 4, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Butler will lose junior wing Andrew Smeathers just six days before the season begins as the 6-foot-6 forward has opted to transfer, according to a release from the school.
Smeathers played two seasons for the Bulldogs and appeared in 43 games over two seasons, but saw limited minutes after two preseason games this season as he dealt with a quad injury. Smeathers was expected to compete for minutes after Roosevelt Jones was lost for the season earlier this year but only played nine minutes of time total in the two exhibition games.
“This is definitely one of the hardest decisions of my life,” said Smeathers in the release. “I’ve loved Butler ever since I arrived here, everything from the basketball, my coaches, my teammates to the school and the individuals I’ve met. I leave here on good terms with my coaches and teammates.”
Smeathers will finish out the fall semester at Butler before transferring to a new program.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)