Nov 4, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Butler will lose junior wing Andrew Smeathers just six days before the season begins as the 6-foot-6 forward has opted to transfer, according to a release from the school.
Smeathers played two seasons for the Bulldogs and appeared in 43 games over two seasons, but saw limited minutes after two preseason games this season as he dealt with a quad injury. Smeathers was expected to compete for minutes after Roosevelt Jones was lost for the season earlier this year but only played nine minutes of time total in the two exhibition games.
“This is definitely one of the hardest decisions of my life,” said Smeathers in the release. “I’ve loved Butler ever since I arrived here, everything from the basketball, my coaches, my teammates to the school and the individuals I’ve met. I leave here on good terms with my coaches and teammates.”
Smeathers will finish out the fall semester at Butler before transferring to a new program.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)