Nov 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Less than two months after ending his recruitment early, four-star 2015 power forward Alex Owens is back on the boards.
“He came to my office this morning and said he wants to reopen his recruitment,” Owens’ coach Alex Jackson told Collings on Tuesday.
“He still likes UCF, but he wants to enjoy the process.”
In mid-September, the Orlando native mentioned he wanted a school that was close to home while UCF’s move to the American also played a role in his decision. At that time several other in-state schools such as Florida, Florida State and Miami had offered him. Cinnicinnati, Maryland, Missouri, N.C. State and Providence were also in the mix as well.
Louisville had also seen him weeks before he picked UCF.
This summer, Owens was on the Each 1 Teach 1 (Fla.) team that won the Nike EYBL Peach Jam. He averaged 9.0 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game. He also represented USA South in the Nike Global Challenge, averaging 11.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.0 blocks per contest while also posting a pair of double-doubles in the showcase.
He is ranked No. 71 overall in the Class of 2015. Owens was the first member of the Golden Knights’ Class of 2015, but during his short commitment UCF has landed Deltona High (Fla.) power forward Chad Brown and Lakewood Senior High (Fla.) small forward Anthony Lawrence Jr.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)