Nov 5, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
Danrad “Chicken” Knowles was a four-star forward, ranked No. 54 overall in the Class of 2012 by Rivals. Last season, he was expected to be an impact freshman for the Houston Cougars, in program’s final season of Conference USA play, however he was ruled academically ineligible and was forced to miss the entire 2012-2013 season.
Houston, now a member of the newly-formed American Athletic Conference, begins the season on Friday, and the eligibility status of the 6-foot-9 forward is still in question, according Joseph Durante of the Houston Chronicle. Knowles will sit out Tuesday night’s exhibition game against the University of St. Thomas.
UH officials said they would have no further comment, citing federal student privacy laws. It remains unclear whether the university will hear from the NCAA before Friday’s season opener against Texas State.
James Dickey lost leading scorer Joseph Young, who transferred to Oregon, but does return a talented front court that includes junior TaShawn Thomas and sophomore Danuel House. The addition of Baylor transfer L.J. Rose, who was granted immediate eligibility in August, takes a little bit of the sting away from losing Young, as he teams up with Jherrod Stiggers in the back court.
Houston hosts Texas State on Friday for a 9 p.m. start.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)