Nov 5, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
Good news for Arizona transfer Zach Peters today.
According to a report from the Arizona Star, Peters is expected to be fully cleared for practice and games today. He had been held out of full-contact drills previously, as Peters was undergoing further testing as a result of five concussions that he has suffered over the last three years. There’s a chance he could suit up on Friday against Cal Poly.
Over the weekend, Peters was out in Pittsburgh where he visited a concussion specialist who had previously given him a troubling evaluation.
Peters was originally enrolled at Kansas, but he left the program midway through last season to return to Dallas and take classes at a community college.
The circumstances surrounding that decision are a bit frightening. From the Star:
Peters first suffered a concussion at a LeBron James camp during the summer of 2011, then another while playing high school football during the fall of 2011.
He suffered a concussion shortly after arriving at Kansas in June 2012, and while he played during the Jayhawks’ summer exhibition tour in August, Peters suffered a concussion in September and took another blow later in the fall while wearing a protective helmet.
By November 2012, Peters announced he would transfer from Kansas and returned home to suburban Dallas. He enrolled in classes at Collin College in Texas but could not take any heavy analytical courses because his brain wasn’t ready, Tim Peters said.
It’s good to hear that Peters is doing better. As we all know, concussions are not something to mess around with.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)