Nov 5, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
Good news for Arizona transfer Zach Peters today.
According to a report from the Arizona Star, Peters is expected to be fully cleared for practice and games today. He had been held out of full-contact drills previously, as Peters was undergoing further testing as a result of five concussions that he has suffered over the last three years. There’s a chance he could suit up on Friday against Cal Poly.
Over the weekend, Peters was out in Pittsburgh where he visited a concussion specialist who had previously given him a troubling evaluation.
Peters was originally enrolled at Kansas, but he left the program midway through last season to return to Dallas and take classes at a community college.
The circumstances surrounding that decision are a bit frightening. From the Star:
Peters first suffered a concussion at a LeBron James camp during the summer of 2011, then another while playing high school football during the fall of 2011.
He suffered a concussion shortly after arriving at Kansas in June 2012, and while he played during the Jayhawks’ summer exhibition tour in August, Peters suffered a concussion in September and took another blow later in the fall while wearing a protective helmet.
By November 2012, Peters announced he would transfer from Kansas and returned home to suburban Dallas. He enrolled in classes at Collin College in Texas but could not take any heavy analytical courses because his brain wasn’t ready, Tim Peters said.
It’s good to hear that Peters is doing better. As we all know, concussions are not something to mess around with.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)