Nov 5, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
Good news for Arizona transfer Zach Peters today.
According to a report from the Arizona Star, Peters is expected to be fully cleared for practice and games today. He had been held out of full-contact drills previously, as Peters was undergoing further testing as a result of five concussions that he has suffered over the last three years. There’s a chance he could suit up on Friday against Cal Poly.
Over the weekend, Peters was out in Pittsburgh where he visited a concussion specialist who had previously given him a troubling evaluation.
Peters was originally enrolled at Kansas, but he left the program midway through last season to return to Dallas and take classes at a community college.
The circumstances surrounding that decision are a bit frightening. From the Star:
Peters first suffered a concussion at a LeBron James camp during the summer of 2011, then another while playing high school football during the fall of 2011.
He suffered a concussion shortly after arriving at Kansas in June 2012, and while he played during the Jayhawks’ summer exhibition tour in August, Peters suffered a concussion in September and took another blow later in the fall while wearing a protective helmet.
By November 2012, Peters announced he would transfer from Kansas and returned home to suburban Dallas. He enrolled in classes at Collin College in Texas but could not take any heavy analytical courses because his brain wasn’t ready, Tim Peters said.
It’s good to hear that Peters is doing better. As we all know, concussions are not something to mess around with.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)