Nov 5, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
The Dez Wells saga is still ongoing at Xavier University. In August of 2012, Wells was expelled from Xavier after being accused of sexual assault. However, there was little evidence and no charges were filed. A prosecutor even called the expulsion “fundamentally unfair.”
Wells eventually landed at Maryland was granted eligibility to play last season. This past August, a year after his exit from Xavier, Wells filed a lawsuit against the university and its president Father Michael Graham. On Oct. 2, Xavier filed a motion to dismiss some of the claims in that lawsuit, according to the Washington Post, which obtained court documents.
Xavier is looking to dismiss eight of the 10 claims, according to Alex Prewitt.
Since the lawsuit was filed, Xavier has stood by its judicial ruling, promising to “vigorously defend the process and the decision” in an August statement. Despite declining to include two claims, the first footnote on Xavier’s dismissal motion “unequivocally denies” that the remaining unaddressed claims “have merit” and promises that when “procedurally appropriate, Xavier and Fr. Graham fully intend to move for judgment in their favor on any remaining claims.”
In the subsequently filed “memorandum of law in opposition,” Wells’ legal team argued that a botched discovery process and university judicial system resulted in a hasty verdict “as a result of its deliberate indifference to the evidence.”
“At a minimum, a question of fact exists as to whether Father Graham’s support for the flawed investigation and adjudication of this matter was motivated by a gender-driven bias against males,” the opposition reads.
Wells averaged 13.1 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game in his first season at Maryland. He and the Terrapins on Friday against UConn at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)