Nov 6, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
Appalachian State is one of the teams expected to contend in a wide-open Southern Conference this season, and junior forward Jay Canty is one of the reasons why. Canty, a 6-foot-6 forward, is one of the SoCon’s best returnees after he posted averages of 14.3 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game in 2012-13.
Unfortunately for Canty and the Mountaineers he won’t be available for the team’s first nine games, as he’s academically ineligible. On Wednesday head coach Jason Capel announced the status of both Canty and freshman guard Aaron Scott, who’s been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.
“But I am proud that Jay is stepping up to his responsibilities, is doing the things he needs to do and growing from this,” Capel said according to Tommy Bowman of the Winston-Salem Journal. “The team has rallied around him and he’s still very much a part of the big picture of who we are going to be even though we’ll obviously miss him early in the season.
“He will be back. He’s doing a good job of taking care of what he needs to take care of.”
With Canty missing the first nine games of the season Appalachian State won’t have him for games against N.C. State (Friday), Cincinnati (November 16), Georgia (November 29) and Charlotte (December 8). He’s expected to be eligible to return on December 18 against Presbyterian, the first game after the end of the fall semester.
With Canty out of the lineup Appalachian State’s most productive returnees are senior forward Tevin Baskin (9.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and junior guard Tab Hamilton (9.2, 2.1), with sophomore forward Michael Obacha (5.3, 4.6) being the team’s leading returning rebounder.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 4
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 17
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 4
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)