Nov 6, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Shannon Smith is a 5-foot-7 junior that plays for Michigan’s women’s team.
She took a roundabout way getting into the program, originally enrolling at North Carolina before spending a JuCo year down in Texas, but she’s there now, which puts the Smith family in an awkward position.
Her father, Kevin, played at Michigan State.
He’s a Spartan.
Whose daughter is now a Wolverine.
That’s a tough thing for a college sports fan to reconcile, but the elder Smith has a soft spot in his heart for Michigan. A local kid that once hit a halfcourt prayer to force overtime in a high school state title game against Magic Johnson, Smith originally committed to play for Michigan. He did so on a visit to the school with Magic. And Magic committed then, too. From Mike McCabe:
“I didn’t know if anyone knew that,” [Shannon] Smith said in a whisper. “Him and Magic committed to come here.”
Yes, they did, but it never became public knowledge.
“We were sitting in the stands next to Rick Leach,” Kevin said of the former U-M quarterback. “We looked at each other and we said: ‘We’re coming here. Roommates.’ ”
The plan never came to fruition, as Kevin ended up at Detroit for a year playing for Dick Vitale before transferring to Michigan State. And Magic? Well, he became a Spartan and led them to a national title win in one of the greatest college basketball games ever played, a battle with Larry Bird’s Indiana State team that launched a rivalry that ended up lasting a decade in the NBA.
And to think, it all could have been for naught.
If only Magic had ended up where he originally committed.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)