Nov 6, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
After posting averages of 14.4 point and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman in 2012-13, Northern Arizona guard DeWayne Russell had the look of a player head coach Jack Murphy could build around as he looks to improve the Lumberjacks’ standing within the Big Sky. However that won’t be happening, as it was reported by VerbalCommits.com that Russell has decided to leave the program.
The news was confirmed by multiple outlets, and Russell’s decision comes just three days before NAU opens regular season play at UTSA.
The 5-foot-11 Russell, who hails from Peoria, Ariz., originally committed to attend USC before ultimately landing at NAU. Last season Russell reached double figures (scoring) in 25 of the Lumberjacks’ 32 games, scoring a career-high 25 points on two separate occasions. Russell’s departure means that NAU will be without their top two scorers from last season, as Gabe Rogers (17.9 ppg) graduated.
Russell scored a team-high 27 points in the Lumberjacks’ lone exhibition, a 92-85 loss to Arizona Christian on October 31. Three other NAU players reached double figures on the night, including freshman guard Kris Yanku (12 points), and he stands to see even more playing time now that Russell has left the program.
Forwards Gaelen Bewernick (6.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg) and Max Jacobsen (9.0, 4.6) are the two returning starters for NAU, with ten newcomers (five junior college transfers) joining the program.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)