Nov 6, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
Less than eight months after suffering a gruesome leg injury in the Elite Eight, Louisville guard Kevin Ware made his return to the court in the second half of the Cardinals’ 90-61 victory over Pikeville in the reigning national champions’ second preseason exhibition. Ware hit his first field goal attempt, a three-pointer, and finished the evening with six points and four rebounds.
Howie Lindsey of CardinalSports.com described Ware’s return to the court:
Ware primarily played the shooting guard spot, reaching the scorer’s book for the first time at the 9:24 mark by grabbing a rebound with the Cardinals up 66-44.
He hit a three with 8:28 left that brought the entire arena to its feet. He grabbed another rebound on the next defensive possession and brought the ball up the court.
The Louisville Courier-Journal posted video of Ware’s return to the court. Welcome back, Kevin.
As for the game itself, junior guard Chris Jones (19 points, six rebounds) and sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell (18 points, six rebounds) led the way offensively for Louisville. Senior guard Russ Smith added 12 points and a game-high seven assists, with Wayne Blackshear joining them in double figures with ten points.
It should also be noted that Mangok Mathiang accounted for nine points and nine rebounds on the evening. While Pikeville was no match for Louisville, which opens the regular season with the College of Charleston on Saturday, the Cardinals can certainly use the production from post players such as Mathiang with Chane Behanan suspended indefinitely.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)