Nov 6, 2013, 9:13 PM EST
Less than eight months after suffering a gruesome leg injury in the Elite Eight, Louisville guard Kevin Ware made his return to the court in the second half of the Cardinals’ 90-61 victory over Pikeville in the reigning national champions’ second preseason exhibition. Ware hit his first field goal attempt, a three-pointer, and finished the evening with six points and four rebounds.
Howie Lindsey of CardinalSports.com described Ware’s return to the court:
Ware primarily played the shooting guard spot, reaching the scorer’s book for the first time at the 9:24 mark by grabbing a rebound with the Cardinals up 66-44.
He hit a three with 8:28 left that brought the entire arena to its feet. He grabbed another rebound on the next defensive possession and brought the ball up the court.
The Louisville Courier-Journal posted video of Ware’s return to the court. Welcome back, Kevin.
As for the game itself, junior guard Chris Jones (19 points, six rebounds) and sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell (18 points, six rebounds) led the way offensively for Louisville. Senior guard Russ Smith added 12 points and a game-high seven assists, with Wayne Blackshear joining them in double figures with ten points.
It should also be noted that Mangok Mathiang accounted for nine points and nine rebounds on the evening. While Pikeville was no match for Louisville, which opens the regular season with the College of Charleston on Saturday, the Cardinals can certainly use the production from post players such as Mathiang with Chane Behanan suspended indefinitely.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)