Nov 6, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
Less than eight months after suffering a gruesome leg injury in the Elite Eight, Louisville guard Kevin Ware made his return to the court in the second half of the Cardinals’ 90-61 victory over Pikeville in the reigning national champions’ second preseason exhibition. Ware hit his first field goal attempt, a three-pointer, and finished the evening with six points and four rebounds.
Howie Lindsey of CardinalSports.com described Ware’s return to the court:
Ware primarily played the shooting guard spot, reaching the scorer’s book for the first time at the 9:24 mark by grabbing a rebound with the Cardinals up 66-44.
He hit a three with 8:28 left that brought the entire arena to its feet. He grabbed another rebound on the next defensive possession and brought the ball up the court.
The Louisville Courier-Journal posted video of Ware’s return to the court. Welcome back, Kevin.
As for the game itself, junior guard Chris Jones (19 points, six rebounds) and sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell (18 points, six rebounds) led the way offensively for Louisville. Senior guard Russ Smith added 12 points and a game-high seven assists, with Wayne Blackshear joining them in double figures with ten points.
It should also be noted that Mangok Mathiang accounted for nine points and nine rebounds on the evening. While Pikeville was no match for Louisville, which opens the regular season with the College of Charleston on Saturday, the Cardinals can certainly use the production from post players such as Mathiang with Chane Behanan suspended indefinitely.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)