Nov 6, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
A promising season for Providence has gotten off to a bad start.
A couple of days after Kris Dunn reinjured the shoulder that slowed him as a freshman, head coach Ed Cooley announced that two of his freshman, Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock, will be suspended indefinitely.
“We hold our student-athletes to very high standards,” Cooley said in a statement released by the school. “We are disappointed in some of the choices that Brandon and Rodney have made. Due to this, we have decided to suspend them indefinitely from any game action.”
The Friars open their season on Friday night against fellow New England up-and-coming program Boston College.
Bullock is a 6-foot-6 power forward from Hampton that was ranked No. 148 by Rivals in the Class of 2013. Austin is a much more highly-regarded recruit, however. A 6-foot-7 lead guard, Austin is a freak athlete that was expected to join Dunn and Bryce Cotton in giving PC one of the most talented back courts in the new-look Big East.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)