Nov 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Coming off of a season where they won both the ACC regular season and tournament titles, it’s shocking to think that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga will essentially be starting this season from scratch.
Six of his top seven scorers from last season are gone, including all-american Shane Larkin.
Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan transferred into the program, but both are sitting out the year. That leaves Rion Brown and a bunch of guys the average fan hasn’t heard of to try and lead the ‘Canes back to glory, and on Sunday, it got even harder.
DeAndre Burnett, a borderline top 100 recruit that was expected to see major minutes in Miami’s back court, injured his wrist in practice. On Wednesday, the school announced that he will be redshirting the season.
Miami has some pieces this season. Garrius Adams is back, Tonye Jekiri will get a lot of minutes up fron and Donnavan Kirk transferred back into the program after leaving for DePaul. Toss in a couple of promising freshman, headlined by Davon Reed, and the Hurricanes won’t be a complete pushover.
But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be heading back to the NIT this year.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)