Nov 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Coming off of a season where they won both the ACC regular season and tournament titles, it’s shocking to think that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga will essentially be starting this season from scratch.
Six of his top seven scorers from last season are gone, including all-american Shane Larkin.
Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan transferred into the program, but both are sitting out the year. That leaves Rion Brown and a bunch of guys the average fan hasn’t heard of to try and lead the ‘Canes back to glory, and on Sunday, it got even harder.
DeAndre Burnett, a borderline top 100 recruit that was expected to see major minutes in Miami’s back court, injured his wrist in practice. On Wednesday, the school announced that he will be redshirting the season.
Miami has some pieces this season. Garrius Adams is back, Tonye Jekiri will get a lot of minutes up fron and Donnavan Kirk transferred back into the program after leaving for DePaul. Toss in a couple of promising freshman, headlined by Davon Reed, and the Hurricanes won’t be a complete pushover.
But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be heading back to the NIT this year.
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)