Nov 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Coming off of a season where they won both the ACC regular season and tournament titles, it’s shocking to think that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga will essentially be starting this season from scratch.
Six of his top seven scorers from last season are gone, including all-american Shane Larkin.
Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan transferred into the program, but both are sitting out the year. That leaves Rion Brown and a bunch of guys the average fan hasn’t heard of to try and lead the ‘Canes back to glory, and on Sunday, it got even harder.
DeAndre Burnett, a borderline top 100 recruit that was expected to see major minutes in Miami’s back court, injured his wrist in practice. On Wednesday, the school announced that he will be redshirting the season.
Miami has some pieces this season. Garrius Adams is back, Tonye Jekiri will get a lot of minutes up fron and Donnavan Kirk transferred back into the program after leaving for DePaul. Toss in a couple of promising freshman, headlined by Davon Reed, and the Hurricanes won’t be a complete pushover.
But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be heading back to the NIT this year.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)