Nov 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Coming off of a season where they won both the ACC regular season and tournament titles, it’s shocking to think that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga will essentially be starting this season from scratch.
Six of his top seven scorers from last season are gone, including all-american Shane Larkin.
Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan transferred into the program, but both are sitting out the year. That leaves Rion Brown and a bunch of guys the average fan hasn’t heard of to try and lead the ‘Canes back to glory, and on Sunday, it got even harder.
DeAndre Burnett, a borderline top 100 recruit that was expected to see major minutes in Miami’s back court, injured his wrist in practice. On Wednesday, the school announced that he will be redshirting the season.
Miami has some pieces this season. Garrius Adams is back, Tonye Jekiri will get a lot of minutes up fron and Donnavan Kirk transferred back into the program after leaving for DePaul. Toss in a couple of promising freshman, headlined by Davon Reed, and the Hurricanes won’t be a complete pushover.
But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be heading back to the NIT this year.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 3
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)