Nov 6, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
There has been no one that has spent more time on preseason hot seat lists than Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Football school or not, that’s what happens when you make 14 straight NCAA tournaments before standing by as your program falls apart. Texas missed the NCAA tournament last season. After the departures of Myck Kabongo, Ioannis Papapetrou (pro), Julien Lewis and Sheldon McClellan (transfers), Barnes is left with a roster devoid of the talent we expect him to have.
What’s made matters worse is that while Texas is currently going through a period where the state known for Friday Night Lights has suddenly become high school hoops most fertile recruiting ground, Barnes is missing out on seemingly every five-star not named Cameron Ridley.
There is plenty of speculation as to why he’s struggled of late, but there’s no questioning what the result could end up being: if Barnes misses another NCAA tournament, might he be shown the door, along with the Texas AD and football coach?
“I don’t want to disappoint you, but I’m not,” Barnes told reporters when asked if he’s worried about his job status. That’s probably because he “absolutely” thinks his team has enough talent to make the NCAA tournament. “No doubt.”
I’ll respectfully disagree with the “no doubt” portion of that statement, but I don’t think it would be insane if Barnes does happen to get this team dancing. Ridley was a major recruit coming out of high school, and if he puts it all together, the Longhorns have some pieces to surround him with. Throw in the fact that the Big 12 is far from intimidating, and I don’t think a trip to the tournament for Texas would be the craziest thing that I’ve ever seen.
Don’t expect me to bet on it though.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)