Nov 7, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
In mid-September the Illinois State basketball program announced that junior guard Daishon Knight was suspended indefinitely following an arrest on charges of aggravated battery in a public place and resisting arrest. With Knight having averaged 19.4 points per game at Odessa (Texas) JC last season and the Redbirds needing to replace their top five scorers, he was expected to be an impact player for Dan Muller’s squad.
On Thursday Knight’s legal case was resolved, as he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of battery and resisting arrest with the felony aggravated battery charge being dismissed as part of the agreement. Following the verdict it was announced by the school that Knight has been reinstated and will play in Illinois State’s season opener at VCU on Friday night.
“Daishon has done everything he has been asked to do within the program and on campus, and it is nice to have him back fully reinstated,” Muller said according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
Illinois State lost forwards Jon Ekey and Jackie Carmichael and guards Tyler Brown, Johnny Hill and Bryant Allen from last season’s 18-win squad, with Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) and Brown (18.1, 4.4) being two of the Missouri Valley Conference’s most productive players. The leading returnees for this season’s group are sophomore point guard Kaza Keane, who accounted for 2.7 points and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman, and redshirt sophomore guard Nick Zeisloft (4.5 ppg) with ten newcomers joining the program.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)