Nov 7, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
In mid-September the Illinois State basketball program announced that junior guard Daishon Knight was suspended indefinitely following an arrest on charges of aggravated battery in a public place and resisting arrest. With Knight having averaged 19.4 points per game at Odessa (Texas) JC last season and the Redbirds needing to replace their top five scorers, he was expected to be an impact player for Dan Muller’s squad.
On Thursday Knight’s legal case was resolved, as he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of battery and resisting arrest with the felony aggravated battery charge being dismissed as part of the agreement. Following the verdict it was announced by the school that Knight has been reinstated and will play in Illinois State’s season opener at VCU on Friday night.
“Daishon has done everything he has been asked to do within the program and on campus, and it is nice to have him back fully reinstated,” Muller said according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
Illinois State lost forwards Jon Ekey and Jackie Carmichael and guards Tyler Brown, Johnny Hill and Bryant Allen from last season’s 18-win squad, with Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) and Brown (18.1, 4.4) being two of the Missouri Valley Conference’s most productive players. The leading returnees for this season’s group are sophomore point guard Kaza Keane, who accounted for 2.7 points and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman, and redshirt sophomore guard Nick Zeisloft (4.5 ppg) with ten newcomers joining the program.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (6)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)