Nov 7, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
In mid-September the Illinois State basketball program announced that junior guard Daishon Knight was suspended indefinitely following an arrest on charges of aggravated battery in a public place and resisting arrest. With Knight having averaged 19.4 points per game at Odessa (Texas) JC last season and the Redbirds needing to replace their top five scorers, he was expected to be an impact player for Dan Muller’s squad.
On Thursday Knight’s legal case was resolved, as he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of battery and resisting arrest with the felony aggravated battery charge being dismissed as part of the agreement. Following the verdict it was announced by the school that Knight has been reinstated and will play in Illinois State’s season opener at VCU on Friday night.
“Daishon has done everything he has been asked to do within the program and on campus, and it is nice to have him back fully reinstated,” Muller said according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
Illinois State lost forwards Jon Ekey and Jackie Carmichael and guards Tyler Brown, Johnny Hill and Bryant Allen from last season’s 18-win squad, with Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) and Brown (18.1, 4.4) being two of the Missouri Valley Conference’s most productive players. The leading returnees for this season’s group are sophomore point guard Kaza Keane, who accounted for 2.7 points and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman, and redshirt sophomore guard Nick Zeisloft (4.5 ppg) with ten newcomers joining the program.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)