Nov 7, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
In mid-September the Illinois State basketball program announced that junior guard Daishon Knight was suspended indefinitely following an arrest on charges of aggravated battery in a public place and resisting arrest. With Knight having averaged 19.4 points per game at Odessa (Texas) JC last season and the Redbirds needing to replace their top five scorers, he was expected to be an impact player for Dan Muller’s squad.
On Thursday Knight’s legal case was resolved, as he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of battery and resisting arrest with the felony aggravated battery charge being dismissed as part of the agreement. Following the verdict it was announced by the school that Knight has been reinstated and will play in Illinois State’s season opener at VCU on Friday night.
“Daishon has done everything he has been asked to do within the program and on campus, and it is nice to have him back fully reinstated,” Muller said according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
Illinois State lost forwards Jon Ekey and Jackie Carmichael and guards Tyler Brown, Johnny Hill and Bryant Allen from last season’s 18-win squad, with Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) and Brown (18.1, 4.4) being two of the Missouri Valley Conference’s most productive players. The leading returnees for this season’s group are sophomore point guard Kaza Keane, who accounted for 2.7 points and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman, and redshirt sophomore guard Nick Zeisloft (4.5 ppg) with ten newcomers joining the program.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)