Nov 7, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The mysterious back injury that’s currently plaguing Michigan’s All-American center Mitch McGary will cost him at least the first game of the season.
Head coach John Beilein announced as much on Thursday morning.
Asked if he’ll play on Friday night, when the Wolverines host UMass-Lowell, Beilein told WTKA 1050 AM, simply, “No, he won’t.”
McGary didn’t play in either of Michigan’s exhibition games and spent much of his time during preseason practices on the sidelines, clipboard in hand. The program has been quiet to date about what, exactly, is wrong with McGary’s back and just how long it will keep him out of action.
With McGary out, that means that Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford will see more time in the middle.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)