Nov 7, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The mysterious back injury that’s currently plaguing Michigan’s All-American center Mitch McGary will cost him at least the first game of the season.
Head coach John Beilein announced as much on Thursday morning.
Asked if he’ll play on Friday night, when the Wolverines host UMass-Lowell, Beilein told WTKA 1050 AM, simply, “No, he won’t.”
McGary didn’t play in either of Michigan’s exhibition games and spent much of his time during preseason practices on the sidelines, clipboard in hand. The program has been quiet to date about what, exactly, is wrong with McGary’s back and just how long it will keep him out of action.
With McGary out, that means that Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford will see more time in the middle.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)