Nov 7, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The mysterious back injury that’s currently plaguing Michigan’s All-American center Mitch McGary will cost him at least the first game of the season.
Head coach John Beilein announced as much on Thursday morning.
Asked if he’ll play on Friday night, when the Wolverines host UMass-Lowell, Beilein told WTKA 1050 AM, simply, “No, he won’t.”
McGary didn’t play in either of Michigan’s exhibition games and spent much of his time during preseason practices on the sidelines, clipboard in hand. The program has been quiet to date about what, exactly, is wrong with McGary’s back and just how long it will keep him out of action.
With McGary out, that means that Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford will see more time in the middle.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)