Nov 7, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
The mysterious back injury that’s currently plaguing Michigan’s All-American center Mitch McGary will cost him at least the first game of the season.
Head coach John Beilein announced as much on Thursday morning.
Asked if he’ll play on Friday night, when the Wolverines host UMass-Lowell, Beilein told WTKA 1050 AM, simply, “No, he won’t.”
McGary didn’t play in either of Michigan’s exhibition games and spent much of his time during preseason practices on the sidelines, clipboard in hand. The program has been quiet to date about what, exactly, is wrong with McGary’s back and just how long it will keep him out of action.
With McGary out, that means that Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford will see more time in the middle.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)