Nov 7, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The mysterious back injury that’s currently plaguing Michigan’s All-American center Mitch McGary will cost him at least the first game of the season.
Head coach John Beilein announced as much on Thursday morning.
Asked if he’ll play on Friday night, when the Wolverines host UMass-Lowell, Beilein told WTKA 1050 AM, simply, “No, he won’t.”
McGary didn’t play in either of Michigan’s exhibition games and spent much of his time during preseason practices on the sidelines, clipboard in hand. The program has been quiet to date about what, exactly, is wrong with McGary’s back and just how long it will keep him out of action.
With McGary out, that means that Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford will see more time in the middle.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)