Nov 7, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Bryce Dejean-Jones will miss UNLV’s opener on Friday night, according to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com.
Dejean-Jones injured his hamstring in an exhibition loss to Dixie State last week. He sat out UNLV’s second exhibition as well. Dejean-Jones averaged 10.3 points last season.
Rothstein had a couple of other notes as well, saying that Fresno State transfer Kevin Olekaibe will get the start at off-guard. Olekaibe may be the best shooter on UNLV’s roster even with Dejean-Jones healthy, and perimeter shooting is something that the Runnin’ Rebels desperately need. He had 17 points and four threes in the win over Adams State on Tuesday night.
Khem Birch has missed the two exhibitions, but he’ll be suiting up against Portland State when the real season kicks off.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)