Nov 7, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Bryce Dejean-Jones will miss UNLV’s opener on Friday night, according to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com.
Dejean-Jones injured his hamstring in an exhibition loss to Dixie State last week. He sat out UNLV’s second exhibition as well. Dejean-Jones averaged 10.3 points last season.
Rothstein had a couple of other notes as well, saying that Fresno State transfer Kevin Olekaibe will get the start at off-guard. Olekaibe may be the best shooter on UNLV’s roster even with Dejean-Jones healthy, and perimeter shooting is something that the Runnin’ Rebels desperately need. He had 17 points and four threes in the win over Adams State on Tuesday night.
Khem Birch has missed the two exhibitions, but he’ll be suiting up against Portland State when the real season kicks off.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)