Nov 8, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Iowa’s going to be without one of their perimeter options when they open the regular season Friday, as junior guard Josh Oglesby is expected to be out anywhere from four to six weeks after breaking a bone in his right foot in practice on Wednesday. Oglesby averaged 4.5 points per game in 37 contests last season.
This is the second medical issue that has come up for the Hawkeyes within the last week, with sophomore guard Anthony Clemmons sitting out an exhibition game due to an ankle injury.
“Josh has played great in preseason practices and this is an unfortunate setback,” head coach Fran McCaffery said in the release. “We expect Josh to make a full recovery and look forward to him returning in time for conference play.”
But the good news for Fran McCaffery is that he’s got both depth and experience when it comes to accounting for Oglesby’s absence according to Rick Brown of the Des Moines Register.
Oglesby was slated to back up Mike Gesell at the second guard. Oglesby’s absence could give freshman Peter Jok increased minutes at that position. McCaffery has several versatile players — most notably Jarrod Uthoff — who could also see time at that position. Starting point guard Devyn Marble also has experience at second guard.
After reaching the title game of the Postseason NIT last season, Iowa’s a team many expect to at the very least be in the conversation for an NCAA tournament bid. With Devyn Marble (15.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.0 apg) and Aaron White (12.8, 6.2) back to lead the way, anything less than a return to the NCAA tournament would be viewed as a disappointment.
Iowa hosts UNC Wilmington on Friday, and they’ll play games against Xavier (as part of the Battle 4 Atlantis) and Notre Dame (Big Ten/ACC Challenge) in the first four weeks of the season.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)