Nov 9, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Manhattan made a statement on Saturday, winning a thrilling, double-overtime battle at La Salle 99-90.
George Beamon led five scorers in double-figures with 24 points and eight boards while Emmy Andujar chipped in with 14 points, 11 boards, three assists and three steals.
Tyrone Garland led the way for La Salle with 28 points, which included a 26-foot three that he hit without about 10 seconds left in the game to force overtime. La Salle had trailed by 10 points with about four minutes left in the game.
La Salle had control for much of the overtime period, but Rhamel Brown — who finished with 14 points, eight boards and five blocks — grabbed one of his seven offensive rebounds and tied the game for Manhattan at 81. He blocked a potential game-winner by Tyreek Duren at the other end to force the second extra period.
Manhattan took control in the second overtime, with Michael Alvarado hitting the three that put them ahead for good.
The Explorers are a top three team in the Atlantic 10. They are coming off of a trip to last year’s Sweet 16 and have enough talent on their roster to make a return to the NCAA tournament this season. Winning this game on the road is quite the statement from Manhattan, who is expected to contend for the MAAC title.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)