Nov 9, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Manhattan made a statement on Saturday, winning a thrilling, double-overtime battle at La Salle 99-90.
George Beamon led five scorers in double-figures with 24 points and eight boards while Emmy Andujar chipped in with 14 points, 11 boards, three assists and three steals.
Tyrone Garland led the way for La Salle with 28 points, which included a 26-foot three that he hit without about 10 seconds left in the game to force overtime. La Salle had trailed by 10 points with about four minutes left in the game.
La Salle had control for much of the overtime period, but Rhamel Brown — who finished with 14 points, eight boards and five blocks — grabbed one of his seven offensive rebounds and tied the game for Manhattan at 81. He blocked a potential game-winner by Tyreek Duren at the other end to force the second extra period.
Manhattan took control in the second overtime, with Michael Alvarado hitting the three that put them ahead for good.
The Explorers are a top three team in the Atlantic 10. They are coming off of a trip to last year’s Sweet 16 and have enough talent on their roster to make a return to the NCAA tournament this season. Winning this game on the road is quite the statement from Manhattan, who is expected to contend for the MAAC title.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)