Nov 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
With four seniors at the guard position entering the 2013-14 campaign, the Memphis Tigers will have some holes to fill with their 2014 recruiting class. Junior college prospects can help in this regard, as they possess more game experience than the standard recruit and therefore could be better equipped to help a program immediately.
On Saturday Josh Pastner’s program received a verbal commitment from a third junior college prospect, as 6-foot-3 guard Avery Woodson made his pledge to the American Athletic Conference school. Woodson, who redshirted at Southeast Louisiana last season before making the move to East Mississippi CC, is a native of Waynesboro, Miss. who was also considering Boise State, Murray State and Southern Miss.
“Coach (Josh) Pastner says I’m a player,” Woodson told John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal a couple days before making his decision. “He said I’ll be able to play anywhere with the rest of the guards and that he wouldn’t just stick me in the corner to shoot.”
Woodson joins forwards Trahson Burrell and Chris Hawkins as junior college players who have committed to Memphis for next season, with guard Dominic Magee being the fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 recruiting class. Memphis loses Missouri transfer Michael Dixon Jr., Chris Crawford, Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson at the guard spots at the conclusion of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)