Nov 9, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Minnesota and new head coach Richard Pitino had a tough blow on Friday as the school announced that junior center Maurice Walker would be suspended the first six games of the season for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
The 6-foot-10 junior center averaged 2.2 points and two rebounds per game in a little over six minutes per game last season but put up 17 points and 13 rebounds in a Minnesota exhibition win earlier this week and has lost 60 pounds this offseason.
According to a report from Marcus R. Fuller of the Pioneer Press, Pitino and the team is excited to get Walker back and he could be an impact at center when he comes back.
“We support Mo,” Pitino said to Fuller. “We love Mo, can’t wait to get him back in Maui. He’s going to be a big help to our basketball team.”
Walker took in Minnesota’s 81-62 win over Lehigh in street clothes and he’ll return for the second round of the Maui Invitational after the Gophers face Syracuse in the first game.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)