Nov 9, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Minnesota and new head coach Richard Pitino had a tough blow on Friday as the school announced that junior center Maurice Walker would be suspended the first six games of the season for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
The 6-foot-10 junior center averaged 2.2 points and two rebounds per game in a little over six minutes per game last season but put up 17 points and 13 rebounds in a Minnesota exhibition win earlier this week and has lost 60 pounds this offseason.
According to a report from Marcus R. Fuller of the Pioneer Press, Pitino and the team is excited to get Walker back and he could be an impact at center when he comes back.
“We support Mo,” Pitino said to Fuller. “We love Mo, can’t wait to get him back in Maui. He’s going to be a big help to our basketball team.”
Walker took in Minnesota’s 81-62 win over Lehigh in street clothes and he’ll return for the second round of the Maui Invitational after the Gophers face Syracuse in the first game.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)