Nov 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: Charleston at No. 3 Louisville, 1:00 p.m.
Charleston is one of the stronger mid-major programs out there but that doesn’t change the fact that it will be tough for the Cougars to hang with Louisville. It’s worth noting, however, that Charleston big man Adjehi Baru was actually a more highly-touted recruit coming out of high school than Montrezl Harrell, which means that the matchup between the two big boys should be fun to watch.
What makes this game worth noting is that not only will it feature the return of Kevin Ware to an actual basketball game, but it we might also see the suspended Chane Behanan dress.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: St. Joseph’s at Vermont, 7:00 p.m.
St. Joe’s isn’t exactly a mid-major team, but for all intents and purposes, we’ll count them here. The Catamounts will be a favorite to win the America East this season, as they are every year, while the Hawks have a dangerous inside-outside duo in Langston Galloway and Ronald Roberts.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) No. 11 Ohio State kicks their season off at noon as the host Morgan State. We’ll get our first glimpse at how the Buckeyes are going to find the scoring to replace Deshaun Thomas.
2) Bryant was one of the most improved programs in the country a year ago and will once again be a favorite in the NEC. It will be interesting to see what happens when they visit No. 15 Gonzaga (7:00 p.m.) on Saturday evening.
3) No. 16 Wichita State couldn’t find a partner to play them in the Tip-Off Classic in Dallas on Friday, so they start their Final Four defense off against … Emporia State?
4) No. 23 New Mexico kicks off the Craig Neal era by hosting Alabama A&M at 10:00 p.m.
5) Indiana State will be the biggest challenger to Wichita State in the Missouri Valley this season, and their season will begin at 1:05 p.m. against Ball State.
OTHER NOTABLE GAMES
- Manhattan at La Salle, 2:00 p.m.
- Temple at Penn, 5:00 p.m.
- Lamar at Butler, 8:00 p.m.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)