Nov 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Charleston at No. 3 Louisville, 1:00 p.m.
Charleston is one of the stronger mid-major programs out there but that doesn’t change the fact that it will be tough for the Cougars to hang with Louisville. It’s worth noting, however, that Charleston big man Adjehi Baru was actually a more highly-touted recruit coming out of high school than Montrezl Harrell, which means that the matchup between the two big boys should be fun to watch.
What makes this game worth noting is that not only will it feature the return of Kevin Ware to an actual basketball game, but it we might also see the suspended Chane Behanan dress.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: St. Joseph’s at Vermont, 7:00 p.m.
St. Joe’s isn’t exactly a mid-major team, but for all intents and purposes, we’ll count them here. The Catamounts will be a favorite to win the America East this season, as they are every year, while the Hawks have a dangerous inside-outside duo in Langston Galloway and Ronald Roberts.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) No. 11 Ohio State kicks their season off at noon as the host Morgan State. We’ll get our first glimpse at how the Buckeyes are going to find the scoring to replace Deshaun Thomas.
2) Bryant was one of the most improved programs in the country a year ago and will once again be a favorite in the NEC. It will be interesting to see what happens when they visit No. 15 Gonzaga (7:00 p.m.) on Saturday evening.
3) No. 16 Wichita State couldn’t find a partner to play them in the Tip-Off Classic in Dallas on Friday, so they start their Final Four defense off against … Emporia State?
4) No. 23 New Mexico kicks off the Craig Neal era by hosting Alabama A&M at 10:00 p.m.
5) Indiana State will be the biggest challenger to Wichita State in the Missouri Valley this season, and their season will begin at 1:05 p.m. against Ball State.
OTHER NOTABLE GAMES
- Manhattan at La Salle, 2:00 p.m.
- Temple at Penn, 5:00 p.m.
- Lamar at Butler, 8:00 p.m.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)