Nov 9, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
South Carolina gained an instant boost to its backcourt when it was announced today from the University and head coach Frank Martin that junior guard Tyrone Johnson was granted a waiver from the NCAA allowing him to play.
Johnson transferred to South Carolina from Villanova and has been practicing with the Gamecocks since January. He’ll be available as soon as Saturday in South Carolina’s game with Longwood.
The 6-foot-3 Johnson averaged 3.3 points per game and two assists per game during the 2011-12 season at Villanova in which he started nine games.
Johnson gives a very young South Carolina backcourt a very good defender while Bruce Ellington continues on with football for the first semester.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0