Nov 10, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Notre Dame had little problem disposing of Stetson on Sunday afternoon winning 80-49.
After struggling to put Miami (OH) away for much of their opening game on Friday night, a 74-62 win, the Irish left no doubt against Stetson today getting out to a 51-21 halftime advantage.
The starting Notre Dame backcourt was impressive as usual, despite not playing for much of the second half, as Eric Atkins, Jerian Grant, and Pat Connaughton combined for 33 points on 11-17 shooting from the field and 6-10 from 3PT.
The Irish have one of the top perimeter attacks in the country, and another weapon can officially be added to this attack in the form of freshman guard Demetrius Jackson.
Jackson was one of Notre Dame’s top recruits in their 2013 recruiting class, and he showed why against Stetson as he totaled nine points on 4-5 shooting, to go along with three assists and three rebounds in 18 minutes of action. If Jackson develops into a reliable player off the bench to spell Eric Atkins at point guard, Mike Brey’s offensive attack becomes that much more potent.
Notre Dame figures to be tested much more next Sunday as they host Indiana State out of the Missouri Valley, one of the top mid-major teams in the country.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)