Nov 10, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Notre Dame had little problem disposing of Stetson on Sunday afternoon winning 80-49.
After struggling to put Miami (OH) away for much of their opening game on Friday night, a 74-62 win, the Irish left no doubt against Stetson today getting out to a 51-21 halftime advantage.
The starting Notre Dame backcourt was impressive as usual, despite not playing for much of the second half, as Eric Atkins, Jerian Grant, and Pat Connaughton combined for 33 points on 11-17 shooting from the field and 6-10 from 3PT.
The Irish have one of the top perimeter attacks in the country, and another weapon can officially be added to this attack in the form of freshman guard Demetrius Jackson.
Jackson was one of Notre Dame’s top recruits in their 2013 recruiting class, and he showed why against Stetson as he totaled nine points on 4-5 shooting, to go along with three assists and three rebounds in 18 minutes of action. If Jackson develops into a reliable player off the bench to spell Eric Atkins at point guard, Mike Brey’s offensive attack becomes that much more potent.
Notre Dame figures to be tested much more next Sunday as they host Indiana State out of the Missouri Valley, one of the top mid-major teams in the country.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)