Nov 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: The Tip-Off Marathon starts tonight. Read all about it here.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Rutgers at UAB, 8:00 p.m.
Rutgers put together a promising performance in their first game of the season, as Kadeem Jack went for 30 points and 12 boards in a win over Florida A&M. But the Scarlet Knights will be heading to Birmingham to take on UAB, who will be playing their first Division I opponent of the season. The Blazers lost at Rutgers by nine last year.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: Belmont at Richmond, 7:00 p.m.
Belmont lost a lot from their back court a season ago, but Rick Byrd’s Bruins looked pretty good in a win in the Battle of the Boulevard against Lipscomb. They should contend for the Ohio Valley title again this season, making tonight’s matchup with Richmond intriguing. The Spiders aren’t a favorite, but they could end up finishing top four in the Atlantic 10 this year.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) Rhode Island faces off with SMU at 8:00 p.m. in a game that features two of the teams expected to make massive improvements this season. Some famous names in this one: Danny Hurley coaches URI and Larry Brown is the head man at SMU.
2) Doug McDermott makes his debut on national TV as a member of the Big East, as Creighton squares off with UMKC on Fox Sports 1 at 8:00 p.m.
3) No. 6 Arizona will play their second game of the season at 10:00 p.m. on the Pac-12 Networks when they take on Long Beach State. Keep an eye on the starting lineup. Arizona landed Aaron Gordon in part because he was told he could play the perimeter, but Gordon started at the four on Friday night.
4) Miami (FL) looks to bounce back from a loss to St. Francis NY in the season opener when they host Georgia Southern at 7:00 p.m.
5) Oklahoma beat Alabama impressively in their first game of the season, and the Sooners will try to back up that performance against North Texas at home at 8:00 p.m.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25:
- Yale at No. 18 UConn, 3:00 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)