Nov 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: The Tip-Off Marathon starts tonight. Read all about it here.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Rutgers at UAB, 8:00 p.m.
Rutgers put together a promising performance in their first game of the season, as Kadeem Jack went for 30 points and 12 boards in a win over Florida A&M. But the Scarlet Knights will be heading to Birmingham to take on UAB, who will be playing their first Division I opponent of the season. The Blazers lost at Rutgers by nine last year.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: Belmont at Richmond, 7:00 p.m.
Belmont lost a lot from their back court a season ago, but Rick Byrd’s Bruins looked pretty good in a win in the Battle of the Boulevard against Lipscomb. They should contend for the Ohio Valley title again this season, making tonight’s matchup with Richmond intriguing. The Spiders aren’t a favorite, but they could end up finishing top four in the Atlantic 10 this year.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) Rhode Island faces off with SMU at 8:00 p.m. in a game that features two of the teams expected to make massive improvements this season. Some famous names in this one: Danny Hurley coaches URI and Larry Brown is the head man at SMU.
2) Doug McDermott makes his debut on national TV as a member of the Big East, as Creighton squares off with UMKC on Fox Sports 1 at 8:00 p.m.
3) No. 6 Arizona will play their second game of the season at 10:00 p.m. on the Pac-12 Networks when they take on Long Beach State. Keep an eye on the starting lineup. Arizona landed Aaron Gordon in part because he was told he could play the perimeter, but Gordon started at the four on Friday night.
4) Miami (FL) looks to bounce back from a loss to St. Francis NY in the season opener when they host Georgia Southern at 7:00 p.m.
5) Oklahoma beat Alabama impressively in their first game of the season, and the Sooners will try to back up that performance against North Texas at home at 8:00 p.m.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25:
- Yale at No. 18 UConn, 3:00 p.m. (ESPN3)
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)