Nov 11, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Connecticut moved to 2-0 on the young season as the No. 19 Huskies got past Yale 80-61 during Monday afternoon’s nonconference clash.
But while its nice the Huskies are 2-0, Shabazz Napier recording the 10th triple-double in Connecticut history is the real story. Napier finished with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists for UConn and the senior guard will carry the Huskies this year.
UConn will get other contributions in the scoring column from Ryan Boatright, Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels, but Napier will always be the model of consistency when the Huskies need to depend on someone to play a big game.
Daniels is once again playing inconsistent ball and had 0 points against Yale in 18 minutes on 0-for-5 shooting while only registering one rebound. The junior 6-foot-8 forward needs to be better if UConn is going to compete in the American and make a Tournament run after the one year ban on postseson play.
Napier can thankfully get them over the hump with his all-around efforts and Boatright and Calhoun can also get hot quickly.
It also helps when UConn gets bench help from senior forward Niels Giffey. The 6-foot-7 Giffey was 5-for-6 from behind the three-point line off the bench and if he can come in and knock in some shots and space the floor it will definitely help UConn’s inexperienced second unit.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)