Nov 11, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Connecticut moved to 2-0 on the young season as the No. 19 Huskies got past Yale 80-61 during Monday afternoon’s nonconference clash.
But while its nice the Huskies are 2-0, Shabazz Napier recording the 10th triple-double in Connecticut history is the real story. Napier finished with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists for UConn and the senior guard will carry the Huskies this year.
UConn will get other contributions in the scoring column from Ryan Boatright, Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels, but Napier will always be the model of consistency when the Huskies need to depend on someone to play a big game.
Daniels is once again playing inconsistent ball and had 0 points against Yale in 18 minutes on 0-for-5 shooting while only registering one rebound. The junior 6-foot-8 forward needs to be better if UConn is going to compete in the American and make a Tournament run after the one year ban on postseson play.
Napier can thankfully get them over the hump with his all-around efforts and Boatright and Calhoun can also get hot quickly.
It also helps when UConn gets bench help from senior forward Niels Giffey. The 6-foot-7 Giffey was 5-for-6 from behind the three-point line off the bench and if he can come in and knock in some shots and space the floor it will definitely help UConn’s inexperienced second unit.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)