Nov 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Maryland lost a tough opener to Connecticut last Friday and Dez Wells was limited to 13 points and six assists on 3-of-10 shooting and six turnovers as the emergency point guard when Seth Allen went down with injury.
Head coach Mark Turgeon has the option of starting freshman Roddy Peters at point guard, but that would mean him learning through his mistakes on-the-fly.
CSN Baltimore’s Daniel Martin broke down the Terps dilemma quite well in how to approach the Wells situation and I happen to agree with his take:
The problem isn’t that Wells is the point guard. The problem is that Wells isn’t the shooting guard. In the same way that it’s not a problem that the stove is a countertop, the problem is that it’s also not a stove anymore.
Wells has shown in the past that he works best when playing off the ball, taking passes off screens for shots or creating space when getting into the lane. With the ball in his hands to begin every possession, that possibility is negated by default.
Martin goes on to note that Nick Faust took 18 shots in the loss and how Maryland would probably like more of those shots to go to Wells.
The good news for Maryland is that they have until December 4th’s ACC/Big Ten Clash at Ohio State to really figure things out. Their next four games are at home and Oregon State — and their home loss to Coppin State — is the only high-major opponent.
We’ll probably see some different lineup combinations and more of Peters playing together with Wells in the backcourt. A 1-2 punch of Wells and Faust taking the shots with Jake Layman and Evan Smotrycz as floor spacers is Maryland’s best offense.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)