Nov 12, 2013, 1:52 AM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: BYU 112, Stanford 103
All these new fouling rules? This is why they’re put into the game. So college basketball looks more like this than rugby.
Now, I’ll freely admit that the score of this game was almost entirely a result of the way that BYU plays. They love, love, love to get up and down the floor, even if it comes at the expense of being able to get stops, and on the nights where Matt Carlino and Tyler Haws get it going, they can do things like score 110 points.
But my point is that this was a game where two teams were able to penetrate without having a hand on their hip and they were able to cut through the lane without getting hip-checked three times. There was plenty of freedom of movement, and while we can’t expect every college basketball game to have final scores with more points than an average NBA game, anything is better than some of the 37-36 slugfests we were stuck with last year.
1) No. 6 Arizona head coach Sean Miller has been experimenting with his lineups early on this season. In the opener, Gabe York started at the two, pushing Nick Johnson to the three and Aaron Gordon to the four. On Monday night, Kaleb Tarczewski was back into the starting lineup, meaning Gordon was out on the perimeter. It didn’t matter much; Gordon finished with a double-double for the second straight game, going for 14 points and 10 boards on 6-for-8 shooting. Brandon Ashley added 16 points and seven boards in the 91-57 win over Long Beach State.
2) No. 19 Gonzaga lit up Colorado State, hitting 14 threes en route to a 93-61 win. Gary Bell Jr. led the way with 24 points on eight triples of his own.
1) Dougie McBuckets went all Dougie McBuckets on poor UMKC, finishing with 37 points. 34 of those points came in the first 24 minutes of the game. The Bluejays ended up winning 96-70.
2) No. 19 UConn handled Yale this afternoon 80-62, picking up their second win of the season. And star point guard Shabazz Napier looked every bit of an All-American, finishing with 14 points, 11 boards and 10 assists. He’s now averaging 16.0 points, 9.0 boards and 8.5 assists. Not bad.
3) Billy Baron went off for 27 points for Canisius in a season-opening win over South Dakota. He scored 13 of that 27 in the final 10 minutes.
1) Napier was awesome. UConn’s big men weren’t. The six front court players that saw time for the Huskies on Monday afternoon gathered all of three defensive rebounds. They didn’t get a single offensive rebound among them. Yale, on the other hand, had 22 offensive rebounds. Not good.
2) Rhode Island shot 30.8% from the floor and 2-for-15 from three while committing 20 turnovers in a 31 point loss to SMU. Star point guard Xavier Munford was 1-for-11.
3) Rion Brown was 3-13 on Monday. He’s not shooting 6-for-23 from the floor and 2-for-9 from three on the season, a big part of the reason that Miami has not been taken to overtime by teams projected to finish near the bottom of the SoCon and the NEC. At least the Hurricanes beat Georgia Southern.
- Kent State went into Philly and knocked off Temple, 81-77.
- Trae Golden had 16 points for Georgia Tech in a win over Delaware State.
- C.J. Washington went for 18 points and 10 boards as UAB knocked off Rutgers at home, 79-76.
- Oklahoma’s high-speed ways earned them another win on Monday, as Buddy Hield led the Sooners with 23 points in a 95-82 win over North Texas.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Justin Reed was one of America East’s best guards in each of his first two seasons, but that hasn’t been the case in 2014-15.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:42 PM EST
After launching 22 three-pointers in the first half, Oklahoma took a wiser approach to the offensive end of the floor as they outlasted No. 22 UCLA.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
It’s hard to put too much stake in one loss, but there are a couple of things from this game that we need to keep an eye on.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Cameron Biedscheid averaged 6.2 points per game as a freshman at Notre Dame in 2012-13.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
Joining Cullen Neal on the sideline is Arthur Edwards, who is expected to miss 4-6 weeks thanks to a dislocated finger.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
The importance of this win for Butler cannot be overstated.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
JayVaughn Pinkston is the leader and go-to guy for Villanova. And he is not their star because … why?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Gordon is averaging 10.5 points this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Not a bad way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend
Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
He was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Angry John Beilein is the best John Beilein.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Pinkston made a couple of huge plays down the stretch.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)