Nov 13, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Less than a week after verbally committing to attend Ohio State, 2014 power forward/center Payton Dastrup’s had a change of heart.
According to Evan Daniels of Scout, Dastrup has de-committed from Ohio State and will instead sign a National Letter of Intent to play at BYU. Wednesday marks the first day of the early signing period, which runs until November 20. BYU was the school many originally expected Dastrup to commit to, with his plans to immediately begin his two-year LDS mission after he graduates from high school being a reason why.
Dastrup discussed his switch with Daniels, noting that in the end his comfort with BYU won out.
“I just felt more comfortable with BYU,” Dastrup told Scout.com. “After I did commit, two days following I wasn’t miserable, but there was something missing. That’s why I changed.”
“I grew up following BYU sports as a young kid,” the 6-foot-10, 230-pound big man added.” I wanted to play football, but when football fell through I had hopes and aspirations of playing basketball there.”
With that being the case Dastrup won’t put on a BYU uniform until 2016, but given the recent recruiting success that Dave Rose and his staff has enjoyed that roster will likely include talented players such as guards T.J. Haws (Tyler’s younger brother) and Nick Emery. Emery, a member of BYU’s 2013 recruiting class, is currently on his two-year LDS mission and current freshman Eric Mika will begin his mission after the current season.
Dastrup is the fifth member of BYU’s 2014 class, joining T.J. Haws and forwards Ryan Andrus, Dalton Nixon and Jake Toolson. As for Ohio State, they’re now down to four commitments in the 2014 class: guard D’Angelo Russell, forwards Keita Bates-Diop and Jae’Sean Tate and center David Bell.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)