Nov 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Markel Starks combined for 48 points and 11 assists as Georgetown bounced back from a season-opening loss to Oregon by whipping up on Wright State 88-70.
The Hoyas finished the night 10-for-23 from beyond the arc, a marked improvement from the 1-for-15 that they shot in the game in Seoul. Most notably Reggie Cameron, a highly-regarded freshman, drained the first three threes of his Georgetown career.
Georgetown ran out to a quick lead, going up by as much as 23 in the first half, which may have played a part in Josh Smiths slow night, but after a tremendous debut against the Ducks, Smith finished with just six points and three boards against the Raiders. He now has six rebounds on the year. That’s not enough for a guy his size with his talent.
At the end of the day, blowout wins against overmatched opponents are tough to read to much into, but what is worth noting is that Wright State is going to win a lot of games this season. They could end up winning the Horizon League, as they brought back the majority of their roster after coming within a couple possessions of the NCAA tournament last season.
There’s a method to the madness of gaming the RPI, and the coaches that are the best at it schedule home games against the favorites from smaller conferences. The reasoning? Simply put, part of the formula that determines the RPI is opponents’ record, so scheduling very winnable games against teams that are a good bet to have a good record come March is a major boost.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)