Nov 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Markel Starks combined for 48 points and 11 assists as Georgetown bounced back from a season-opening loss to Oregon by whipping up on Wright State 88-70.
The Hoyas finished the night 10-for-23 from beyond the arc, a marked improvement from the 1-for-15 that they shot in the game in Seoul. Most notably Reggie Cameron, a highly-regarded freshman, drained the first three threes of his Georgetown career.
Georgetown ran out to a quick lead, going up by as much as 23 in the first half, which may have played a part in Josh Smiths slow night, but after a tremendous debut against the Ducks, Smith finished with just six points and three boards against the Raiders. He now has six rebounds on the year. That’s not enough for a guy his size with his talent.
At the end of the day, blowout wins against overmatched opponents are tough to read to much into, but what is worth noting is that Wright State is going to win a lot of games this season. They could end up winning the Horizon League, as they brought back the majority of their roster after coming within a couple possessions of the NCAA tournament last season.
There’s a method to the madness of gaming the RPI, and the coaches that are the best at it schedule home games against the favorites from smaller conferences. The reasoning? Simply put, part of the formula that determines the RPI is opponents’ record, so scheduling very winnable games against teams that are a good bet to have a good record come March is a major boost.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)