Nov 13, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
For those who attempted to stay up for much (if not all) of Tuesday’s 24-hour college basketball marathon, getting through Wednesday was quite the task. So consider what the Hartford Hawks were confronted with: at 7:00 a.m. Tuesday Hartford’s game at FGCU tipped off, and after holding their own for much of the contest the Hawks fell by the final score of 65-51.
From Fort Myers head coach John Gallagher’s team hopped on a plane, with a game on Wednesday night at Fairfield next on the schedule. A quick turnaround for most teams would represent a near-impossible task but that wasn’t the case for Hartford, who beat the Stags 63-53 with big men Yasin Kolo (20 points, six rebounds) and Mark Nwakamma (17 points, 11 rebounds) leading the way.
A ten-point edge at the foul line (16-6) and their work on the defensive end, limiting Fairfield to 37.0% shooting from the field (37.1% on two-point shots), made the difference for a Hartford team playing its second game in 36 hours. And it’s not like the two locations were in the same neighborhood, with Mapquest calculating the distance from Fort Myers, Fla. to Bridgeport, Conn. to be over 1,300 miles. Sure the Hawks didn’t have to make the trek via bus, but their ability to win in spite of the irregular travel schedule should be commended.
And the Hawks won’t have much time to celebrate Wednesday’s result either, as they host Fairleigh Dickinson in their home opener on Friday.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)