Nov 13, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
For those who attempted to stay up for much (if not all) of Tuesday’s 24-hour college basketball marathon, getting through Wednesday was quite the task. So consider what the Hartford Hawks were confronted with: at 7:00 a.m. Tuesday Hartford’s game at FGCU tipped off, and after holding their own for much of the contest the Hawks fell by the final score of 65-51.
From Fort Myers head coach John Gallagher’s team hopped on a plane, with a game on Wednesday night at Fairfield next on the schedule. A quick turnaround for most teams would represent a near-impossible task but that wasn’t the case for Hartford, who beat the Stags 63-53 with big men Yasin Kolo (20 points, six rebounds) and Mark Nwakamma (17 points, 11 rebounds) leading the way.
A ten-point edge at the foul line (16-6) and their work on the defensive end, limiting Fairfield to 37.0% shooting from the field (37.1% on two-point shots), made the difference for a Hartford team playing its second game in 36 hours. And it’s not like the two locations were in the same neighborhood, with Mapquest calculating the distance from Fort Myers, Fla. to Bridgeport, Conn. to be over 1,300 miles. Sure the Hawks didn’t have to make the trek via bus, but their ability to win in spite of the irregular travel schedule should be commended.
And the Hawks won’t have much time to celebrate Wednesday’s result either, as they host Fairleigh Dickinson in their home opener on Friday.
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)