Nov 13, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
The first game of the Champions Classic doubleheader between No. 1 Kentucky and No. 2 Michigan State was the second-most viewed non-conference college basketball game ever aired on ESPN.
The game averaged just over four million viewers and scored a 2.6 rating. The current record came when No. 1 Memphis played No. 2 Tennessee in February of 2008, a game that averaged 5,281,000 viewers and had a 3.2 rating.
The nightcap scored impressive numbers despite being so late, as No. 4 Duke taking on No. 5 Kansas averaged 2,977,000 viewers and a 2.1 rating.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)